"The wonderful Garden of England" Kent by planxty
Kent Travel Guide: 1,833 reviews and 4,580 photos
As a rule, I don't normally construct pages about a particular County in the UK, I prefer to construct individual pages about towns, cities etc. but in a recent fit of enthusiasm for sorting out my photos on the computer, I kept coming across many that didn't make it into specific tips so I thought I would construct a page purely for travelogues and the occasional general tip.
Kent really does have so much to offer from seaside towns to Roman remains, the historic city of Canterbury, centre of the Anglican church, an abundance of pretty villages and of course, the world famous agriculture. For example, there is a farm in Brogdale which has the greatest collection of fruit varieties in the world. I could go on.
Stretching from the suburbs of London, it is a large county, and one which I love. I visit Thanet a lot (the area to the extreme East of the county) primarily to play gigs there, specifically the wonderful Broadstairs Folk Week. I have now played there for over 20 successive years and it is my favourite festival anywhere. I recommend it.
I was trying to think of a photograph that encapuslated Kent, but what to choose? A sea scene, rolling Downs, a seaside town? I eventually opted for this rather generic one, taken on a glorious day in the delightful village of Woodbere.
I have recently revisited this page as the result of a relatively new member of VT pointing out that I had omitted to mention the military history of the County which is a glaring omission on my part. Due to it's proximity to mainland europe, it has a long martial story dating back at least to Roman times (Reulver fort) and up to the Second World War (numerous airfields and Dover Castle where D-Day was more or less planned). The "war" continues to this day, again due to the proximity of the Continent and now the Channel Tunnel with the "enemy" now not being Nazi Germans but economic migrants from half the globe.
If the reader is interested in more specific information then I would point them in the direction of the specific pages below although I do stress that there are many more pages on these places here on Virtual Tourist, most of them better than my meagre offerings. I do, as I say, love Kent and I hope to visit much more of it as time allows but int he meantime, here are my pages.
Broadstairs, which is still, somewhat inexplicaby my most visited page on VT.
Canterbury, home of the Anglican Church and a most wonderful place to see irrespective of your religion,
Downe, home of Charles Darwin and his wonderful house there,
Herne Bay, where th "bouncing bomb was tested,
I hope this at least gives the reader a starter into this most delightful part of the UK.
- Pros:Lots do do, varied landscape and plenty of history.
- Cons:Can be difficult to access by public transport.
- In a nutshell:You really should visit the Garden of England.
planxty's Related Pages
Kent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kent - Home of the Hops and much more"
- "Welcome to the Garden Of England"
- "Kent, the Garden of England"
- "Kent - The Garden of England"
- "Finally: More than just Dover"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kent
- Hotels in Kent
- Transportation in Kent
- Nightlife in Kent
- Restaurants in Kent
- Shopping in Kent
- Warnings and Dangers in Kent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kent
- 89 Reviews
- 303 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (240)
Have you been to Kent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kent
Videos in KentSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 258 reviews, 969 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 41 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 27 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues