"Yangon - capital and great introduction to Myanmar" Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon by planxty
Rangoon Travel Guide: 726 reviews and 2,075 photos
I've been lucky enough to have travelled round a fair bit of Southeast Asia, inluding some capital cities, and the thing that struck me about Yangon (Rangoon) is that it is very different.
I know it sounds like a ridiculous thing to mention, but one of the first things you notice about the city is the complete absence of scooters, so prevalent everywhere else in the region, and the equal absence of car horns, normally an integral part of Asian driving. I was told that it's because there are so many Government bigwigs about, they don't like the noise of the horns and think scooters make the place look cheap. I don't know how true all that is.
Yangon also has a very marked mix of cultures and religions. A look at the faces will indicate a Chinese influence mixed with local Bamar and all the various tribes that now make up Myanmar, along with influences from the West (Indian and Bangladeshi). This is also reflected in the places of worship, with mosques, churches and temples co-existing quite happily with the predominant Buddhist temples.
I also found the city fairly accessible with most of the main attractions within fairly easy walking distance of each other. And what attractions they are. From the simply magnificent Shwedagon, Sule Paya and the Botataung, to old colonial architecture, the bustle of Chinatown and a fascinating riverscape.
And so to food, one of my greatest delights whilst travelling. Yangon certainly has far and away the best selection of eating options in the country, as you might expect. There is everything ranging from great streetside stalls to restaurants that would not be out of place anywhere in the world.
People looking for a wild nightlife will, however, be disappointed. Most restaurants close at about 2130 and there is virtually nothing open after 2300 (except a few nightclubs which I didn't bother with). Best get to bed early ready for the next days sightseeing.
The vast majority of visitors to Myanmar will start or end their trip here, or probably both. It's a great introduction to the country.
- Pros:A beautiful city with so much to see and do.
- Cons:Nothing wrong that I can see. A bit busy traffic wise.
- In a nutshell:Not officially the capital any more but you wouldn't know it.
If the stress of all that sightseeing is knotting up your muscles, you might find yourself in need of a relaxing... more travel advice
There is no doubt about it, Sule Paya must be the most beautiful traffic roundabout in the world. Standing in the middle... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Rangoon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yangon - capital and great introduction to Myanmar"
- "YANGON, A CITY WORTHEXPLORING"
- "Yangon - City of Golden Pagodas"
- "Some of the Loveliest People in all of Asia"
- "Yangon - don`t worry anymore..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rangoon
- Hotels in Rangoon
- Transportation in Rangoon
- Nightlife in Rangoon
- Restaurants in Rangoon
- Shopping in Rangoon
- Warnings and Dangers in Rangoon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rangoon
- 33 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Rangoon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rangoon
Photos in RangoonSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 253 reviews, 952 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 41 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues