"Yangon - capital and great introduction to Myanmar" Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon by planxty

Rangoon Travel Guide: 543 reviews and 1,381 photos

It's very different.

I've been lucky enough to have travelled round a fair bit of Southeast Asia, inluding some capital cities, and the thing that struck me about Yangon (Rangoon) is that it is very different.

I know it sounds like a ridiculous thing to mention, but one of the first things you notice about the city is the complete absence of scooters, so prevalent everywhere else in the region, and the equal absence of car horns, normally an integral part of Asian driving. I was told that it's because there are so many Government bigwigs about, they don't like the noise of the horns and think scooters make the place look cheap. I don't know how true all that is.

Yangon also has a very marked mix of cultures and religions. A look at the faces will indicate a Chinese influence mixed with local Bamar and all the various tribes that now make up Myanmar, along with influences from the West (Indian and Bangladeshi). This is also reflected in the places of worship, with mosques, churches and temples co-existing quite happily with the predominant Buddhist temples.

I also found the city fairly accessible with most of the main attractions within fairly easy walking distance of each other. And what attractions they are. From the simply magnificent Shwedagon, Sule Paya and the Botataung, to old colonial architecture, the bustle of Chinatown and a fascinating riverscape.

And so to food, one of my greatest delights whilst travelling. Yangon certainly has far and away the best selection of eating options in the country, as you might expect. There is everything ranging from great streetside stalls to restaurants that would not be out of place anywhere in the world.

People looking for a wild nightlife will, however, be disappointed. Most restaurants close at about 2130 and there is virtually nothing open after 2300 (except a few nightclubs which I didn't bother with). Best get to bed early ready for the next days sightseeing.

The vast majority of visitors to Myanmar will start or end their trip here, or probably both. It's a great introduction to the country.

• Last visit to Rangoon: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 27, 2007

• white_smallstar's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2014 at 3:54 AM

I was in Burma one month ago and I really enjoyed a lot that country. Thanks for your good tips.
    *Nico*

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Nico, thank you so much for your kind words. It really is a wonderful place, isn't it? I believe it has changed a lot since I was there one way and another.

• cal6060's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Yangon is a great place to visit! hope to visit there soon...thanks for great reviews! : )

• Emily2410's Profile Photo
      Jul 26, 2013 at 1:09 AM

recently I was so busy with project so couldn't have time to update my site. will do that once I return Hochiminh City. Myanmar gives me a great impression so far, Bago also nice. This country has not being influenced by modern technology and external factors, it preserves its own pure culture. I went there last January. I think Myanmar will become a hot new tourist spot in SEA. I recently have visited Manila and Cebu in Phillipines. I will write about it very soon :)

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I am so glad you are enjoying your travels in the wonderful region of SE Asia and I look forward to reading your pages on everywhere you have visited.

• AngMimi's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Excellent page, Fergy. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Thanks for the kind comment, you will love it there.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2012 at 9:01 PM

great tips!

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Great tips Fergy, informative and entertaining read

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Wonderful page! Burma is very high on my wish list - I love to read about it and very much enjoyed your tips and pictures!

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Love your write up on Rangoon. SEA is on my net "to do " list. Maby 2011 will be the year I visit.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2010 at 2:28 PM

There really is some very ornate architecture, and I cannot imagine that roundabout you described with its sites surrounding it. Your presentation is excellent and the photos very good.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 4:42 AM

Thanks for sharing these delicious tips.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 8:58 PM

So many things too do in Myanmar! I will have to add it on my wishlist --- I love the architecture and that park looks good, Thanks again Fergy, Norman :)

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Rangoon

Have you been to Rangoon?

Latest Activity in Rangoon