"A brief overview" Surrey by planxty

Surrey Travel Guide: 200 reviews and 590 photos

Close to London, yet very different.

I am really only creating this Surrey page as a vehicle for constructing a travelogue about my walks along the North Downs Way Any tips I may write will be contained in various more specific pages.

Surrey is one of those counties surrounding London and, as such, much of it serves as dormitory areas for the capital. There is, however, a lot more to it than that. A quick Internet search tells me that the word derived from the old English word suther-ge or Suthrige meaning Southern district, a term first recorded in 722. My search also suggests it is 485,129 acres, making it the 30th largest (of 39) of the traditional English counties that existed prior to local government re-organisations. The county town is Kingston upon Thames, which is effectively a suburb of London.

If you want to look at it in more detail, here is a map.

Going away from the London suburbs of the county, there are some very pleasant towns and beautiful countryside within the county. It's proximity to my home and good transportation links make it a place I spend a fair amount of time.

• Pros:Close to London, good transportation.
  • Cons:Increasing development.
  • In a nutshell:Ideal for a day trip from the capital.
  • Last visit to Surrey: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2006

• Jan 27, 2006 at 7:55 AM

My friend and I used to spend some time on the North Downs near Sutton - can't remember the exact name of the place now - but I've definitely walked over Box Hill. Why weren't you at the London Meeting on Saturday btw?

planxty