planxty's profile photo

planxty

fergy Online Now
I have declared myself an unsafe building!

My Favorite Pages

Personal Pages

Travel Map

Gillybob's Profile Photo
Gillybob Jun 21, 2016 at 11:33 AM

You've NEVER had potted beef???

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Gillybob 13 hours ago

You never know with Gilly.....

planxty 12 hours ago

I'm dead serious about this, it sounds like a brilliant idea, and, as I say, I have a bit of time on my hands (God, this being retired is such hard work!). I am more than happy to come up and do a bit of fieldwalking for you guys as I know organising things like this is a lot of work.

I know a brilliant tapas bar in Manchester but that hardly counts lol!

Grevil's Profile Photo
Grevil Jun 21, 2016 at 5:38 AM

Thanks for your answer to 'Travel time by car from Crawley to Heathrow'. I appreciate your advice.

HksHopeful Jun 17, 2016 at 5:36 AM

Thanks for your answer to 'Hotel / Hostels Rec. In Dambulla ?'. Thank you! Seems like an awesome little place. :-) ps. Good write up on the place

HksHopeful Jun 16, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Thanks for your answer to 'Cost of Hiring a Tuk Tuk for a day or half day?'. Thanks Fergy!! :-) Im primarily thinking Colombo. My concern is I'm clueless about locations and I don't want a tuk tuk taking me on a joyride to rack up the meter fare. I would rather agree on a price and Agree when to retrieve me from various sites. I wouldn't care if he did runs in between or was a little late retrieving me. Anyway, just thought I'd ask.. I just hate bargaining and the thought of having to bargain each ride doesn't excite me. If most use good working meters, then that's not bad. I'd be okay with that. By the way do you give the driver a 10% tip? Pay only in rupees or USD okay?
On a side note, are there lots of counterfeit money? In china I'd sometimes give a cabbie a 100RMB which came from a bank, and then they'd return it saying its fake. What's happens is that they would switch my bill with a fake one and then say mine is fake. What I started doing is either writing my initials on large bills or memorizing the last three serial numbers before handing it to cabbies.

HksHopeful Jun 16, 2016 at 5:39 AM

Thanks for your answer to '$38 one way from Colombo airport to the city center? Seriously?'. You've been a huge help.

planxty's Profile Photo
planxty Jun 15, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Trust me, it tasted a whole lot better than it looks and it looks pretty special, it was stunning. Sure there are lots of great restaurants, and not expensive, but there really is no substitute anywhere in the world for home cooking.

HksHopeful Jun 15, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Thanks for your answer to 'Tipping? Pickpockets? Colombo? '. I appreciate your advice.

HksHopeful Jun 15, 2016 at 7:22 AM

Thanks for your answer to 'Tipping? Pickpockets? Colombo? '. Thanks for the tips. I am new, just joined today. I'll get around to those things.. Still exploring site. However, came seeking info as I am in the midst of planning Sri Lanka trip...book ms etc. cheers mate.,

planxty Jun 15, 2016 at 8:11 AM

Cool as my friend, no rush, no stress, they were just suggestions as I saw you were newly joined and maybe didn't know what was and was not available here. I know it can be a little daunting at first. Seriously, I have spent nearly six months of the last two years in SL and I adore it, you really have to get there as you will love it. Where are you from?

HksHopeful Jun 15, 2016 at 7:14 AM

Thanks for your answer to 'Places for Good Curry. Also, places for fresh fish (saltwater)?'. Awesome!!! Pics looks delish!

planxty Jun 15, 2016 at 7:37 AM

Tell me, that woman can cook for her country. I spet six weeks staying in her house earlier this year and the deal was that I cooked on weekdays (she loves European food and she works in the week) and then at the weekend she would cook
    Sri Lankan food and it was sublime.

Look her up here, her member name on VT is Treshi and she can tell you more about SL than I ever could, she won't mind you contacting her.

• HksHopeful Jun 15, 2016 at 8:15 AM

Ok! Thank you!

HksHopeful Jun 15, 2016 at 6:45 AM

Thanks for your answer to 'Overnight in Kandy: Necessary? Ella and Pollunaruwa: worth it?'. Thank you for you insights. How much is the elephant orphanage? What it is the best time of day to go? I would go early afternoon after checking in at hotel from train station if I stay overnight in kandy. Would take 7am train from Colombo. How does one get from kandy to orphanage? Lots of ads? A bus? Tuk tuk? How far is it from kandy? Cost? Glad you enjoyed the place. It's number one on my list. Won't leave without getting there.

planxty Jun 15, 2016 at 6:55 AM

Sorry I cannot help you there. A friend took me there and she knew one of the senior staff so there was no admission fee (obviously I left a good donation for their excellent charitable work) but I really have no idea. We got a tuktuk but, again, she knew the driver and I really cannot remember how much it was as we were getting locals rates not tourist rates. Again, sorry I cannot be of more help. Tuktuk is better than the bus as they wil take you right up to the gate.

• HksHopeful Jun 15, 2016 at 7:05 AM

Thank you! Still very helpful! Wishing you a wonderful day! :-)