planxty's profile photo

planxty

fergy Online Now
I have declared myself an unsafe building!

My Favorite Pages

Personal Pages

Travel Map

charlesracine's Profile Photo
charlesracine Jul 22, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Thanks for your answer to 'Considering a first time stay in Paddington station area vs. Gloucester Road underground area '. I appreciate your advice.

Gillybob's Profile Photo
Gillybob Jul 21, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Thank you for the compliment. It does 'grate me' when someone posts something like the death of someone (anyone) without at least confirming it. Not like it was a difficult 'Google' to do. ;-)

Those days need repeating - I need to make plans but, of course, I'm currently booked with a camping trip, the Big Aussie meet in October (and cruise) and a wonderful time in Las Vegas over the New Year period.

Plans will be made, however.

planxty Jul 21, 2016 at 3:04 PM

you cannot believe how hacked off I am now. I just spent in the region of 45 minutes composing a huge answer to you and VT managed to lose it. I'm not in the mood to rewrite it all now, I am way out the far side of pissed off. Much of it was to do with me organising another narrowboat trip later this year, do you think there would be any interest?

That is the seriously truncated version.

Not your fault obviously and sorry for sounding off but I am really annoyed just now.

Speak soon,

fergy.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Gillybob Jul 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM

I know that feeling. I wouldn't be able to make it this year, I don't think. Have the Aussie meet in early October and a major project mid-August to mid-September. What about a Spring-time consideration?

mslollaby Jun 27, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Thanks for your answer to 'Transit in Doha Int'l. Airport.'. I appreciate your advice.

planxty Jun 27, 2016 at 3:24 PM

My pleasure, that is what we are here for.

Gillybob's Profile Photo
Gillybob Jun 21, 2016 at 11:33 AM

You've NEVER had potted beef???

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Gillybob Jun 26, 2016 at 2:32 AM

Yeah, erm, tapas in Manchester. Not exactly Northern Food. :-p

I'll have a chat wi't'gang and think on a potential date.

planxty Jun 26, 2016 at 6:15 AM

I know, I know but it really is rather good. Seriously, a daytrip to a local butcher / fishmonger or whatever coupled with a wander round a local market would be a great day out and I know a lot of VT members are foodies. There would undoubtedly be interest in a proper butcher butchering pig.

Ever heard of a guy called Scott Rea? He is in Worcester which I know isn't your patch but his vids have hadover seven million hits on Youtube. Check him out and there must be someone Oop North who is still using the same skils and would be prepared to demostrate them.

youtube.com/channel/UCs_t4Om...

OK, this is a whole deer but look at the rest of his stuff, it is unbelieavably good.

Grevil's Profile Photo
Grevil Jun 21, 2016 at 5:38 AM

Thanks for your answer to 'Travel time by car from Crawley to Heathrow'. I appreciate your advice.

HksHopeful Jun 17, 2016 at 5:36 AM

Thanks for your answer to 'Hotel / Hostels Rec. In Dambulla ?'. Thank you! Seems like an awesome little place. :-) ps. Good write up on the place

HksHopeful Jun 16, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Thanks for your answer to 'Cost of Hiring a Tuk Tuk for a day or half day?'. Thanks Fergy!! :-) Im primarily thinking Colombo. My concern is I'm clueless about locations and I don't want a tuk tuk taking me on a joyride to rack up the meter fare. I would rather agree on a price and Agree when to retrieve me from various sites. I wouldn't care if he did runs in between or was a little late retrieving me. Anyway, just thought I'd ask.. I just hate bargaining and the thought of having to bargain each ride doesn't excite me. If most use good working meters, then that's not bad. I'd be okay with that. By the way do you give the driver a 10% tip? Pay only in rupees or USD okay?
On a side note, are there lots of counterfeit money? In china I'd sometimes give a cabbie a 100RMB which came from a bank, and then they'd return it saying its fake. What's happens is that they would switch my bill with a fake one and then say mine is fake. What I started doing is either writing my initials on large bills or memorizing the last three serial numbers before handing it to cabbies.

HksHopeful Jun 16, 2016 at 5:39 AM

Thanks for your answer to '$38 one way from Colombo airport to the city center? Seriously?'. You've been a huge help.

planxty's Profile Photo
planxty Jun 15, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Trust me, it tasted a whole lot better than it looks and it looks pretty special, it was stunning. Sure there are lots of great restaurants, and not expensive, but there really is no substitute anywhere in the world for home cooking.

HksHopeful Jun 15, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Thanks for your answer to 'Tipping? Pickpockets? Colombo? '. I appreciate your advice.