"My home town" Top 5 Page for this destination County Dublin by Kulprit

County Dublin Travel Guide: 5,642 reviews and 10,885 photos

Better than ever...

I first did a review of my home town, Dublin, for this site in 2005. Reading back is revealing. At the time the Celtic Tiger - our boom economy - was just kicking off. Prices were rising and it had become very expensive to visit. What happened next still has repercussions for we Irish today. The property market ballooned out of control, the banks gave credit cards out like they were advertising flyers instead of real money and the Irish people went on a spending spree that we hadn't actually got the money for. The crash that followed was awful and left some people in a very real crisis. However, it had the effect of bringing us back to solid ground where we belong. During the boom period many of our artists had to leave the country because they couldn't afford studio or rehearsal space and people were too busy working second jobs to go see their work anyway. Now it's like we awakened from a stupor and have rediscovered things like community, family and - what we're known for worldwide - taking the time to chat to strangers. It's a wonderful time to visit Dublin and Ireland in general. There's a sense of economic optimism back in the air but hopefully it's tempered with a sense of reality this time. The property crash plummeted property and rental prices so the arts have blossomed again. Our natural humourful, self deprecating ways are apparent again. Also, the flood of people from other countries and cultures that the boom attracted has mellowed into a nice multicultural blend. We've adapted some global ways - like good coffee and international cuisine - but, on the whole, the people who stayed on after the economic crash have become Irish.
So get here. Walk the streets, sit in a coffee shop, plonk yourself at the bar in a pub and feel free to chat to us. You never need to be on your own in Dublin if you don't want to be. It's not for nothing that we're known as the friendliest people on earth.

The Spire

A recent addition to the Dublin cityscape is The Spire or, as Dubliners have fondly termed it, 'The Stilhetto in the Ghetto'. O'Connell Street, on Dublin's north city centre, is main thoroughfare (although Grafton Street on the South Side is a much more lively and affluent rival). For many decades a tower dedicated to Lord Nelson dominated the street. Visitors could ascend Nelson's Pillar, as it was called, and obtain a fine view of the city. However, in the '70s an early morning explosion, carried out by the IRA, tumbled the pillar to the ground. In the early years of the current 'troubles' the column was seen, by the republicans, as a symbol of British occupation. It wasn't until the heady days of the recent Celtic Tiger that the city fathers decided that Dublin needed a new towering symbol. A competition was arranged and the shiny, elegant Spire was selected. It was unveiled last year to mixed reactions. Personally I like it. It soars upward with graceful, tapering lines like a personification of Ireland's cultural and economical upsurge. My one gripe, however, is that a web cam was not put at the top. A revolving camera would provide a spectacular web broadcast which could be seen at any time from anywhere in the world.
The accompanying picture is of the Spire as seen from Talbot Street.

• Pros:Legendary friendliness and an optimistic feel
  • Cons:After a severe slump prices are probably rising again.
  • In a nutshell:A ┬┤must see┬┤destination
  • Last visit to County Dublin: Sep 2014
  • Intro Updated Sep 2, 2014

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Dublin is a must for everyone!

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2006 at 12:30 PM

Hi there Declan, Greetings from Montreal I enjoyed your Dublin tips thank you very much....Donna.

• Shibiru's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2005 at 12:50 AM

I loved ur pictures!!! I hope my plans to go to DUblin will work :-) Take care and I'm waiting for more useful tips :-)

• tvdm's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 11:28 AM

Reading these little bits of info give me a feeling of nostalgia - and I've only been gone for about 3 months now :) The Big Smoke just has that kind of effect on people, I guess...

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 5:00 AM

Great and very interesting info. You make me crazy to visit Dublin for the first time... maybe even this year for a short time.

• benazer's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 3:24 PM

One of my fav cities is Dublin ,very nice been there a long time ago. Thanks for advice by the way. Az.

• mizzzthanggg's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2005 at 11:42 PM

Following a recommendation by Jenniferchin here. Great info in yr tips, Declan! Hope to see more photos. Checking out Italy next ;))) - Cheers from Malaysia, MiZZie

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2005 at 2:34 PM

I'm thinking our next trip to Europe is going to be Ireland. Might just take you up on those budget travelor tips.

• shashasharon's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2005 at 3:40 AM

happy st patrick's day..sharon

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 10:28 PM

oh YUM !!! Good readings here :-)

Kulprit

“I don't care if the glass is half empty or half full. I've got the bottle :)”

Badges & Stats in County Dublin

Have you been to County Dublin?

Latest Activity in County Dublin