"Liberec, CZ" Liberec by rcargo

Liberec Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 154 photos

A Peaceful Respite From the Liveliness of Prague

Liberec (about 65 miles, 110 km north east of Prague) may be a city of 100,000 people, but it still has the relaxing, quite feel of a small mountain town. I originally went to Liberec from Prague only because it was in the direction of a few things I wanted to see in northern Czech. But it ended up such a nice place I stayed there for three days, relaxing in various cafes and restaurants, wandering the snowy streets, and swimming at the town's aquapark. Many people I met both in Liberec and after I returned to Prague were very surprised that a tourist from outside of Czech would go "all the way" (about an hour) there from Prague. My only reply is that it was a wonderful detour, and I highly recommend going there to anyone no matter how long their visit to Czech is. No matter how wonderful Prague is, it’s far from being the entire country!

A Snowy Mountain Wonderland

As I mentioned above, I had originally planned on visiting the Czech-Swiss National Park and Ceský Ráj to visit the mountainous landscape. While I didn't have time to get outside of Liberec, the beautiful landscape was obvious both from the city itself and the bus between there and Prague. After seeing what it was like around Liberec, I can only imagine what the Czech-Swiss National Park and Ceský Ráj must be like. Guess that means I'll have to make another trip there someday!

Quiet Streets, Delicious Aromas

Spreading out in most directions from the old town square in Liberec are numerous small streets sloping with the contour of the land. Many of them are home to small restaurants, pubs, shops, and bakeries. If you follow your nose it won't take long to find the streets with bakeries on them. This particular bakery (soon to be listed in the Tips section) had such delicious treats that it literally warmed the entire street up with the smell of freshly baked pastries.

Links:

Liberec

• Pros:Small town feel, skiing nearby, friendly people.
  • Cons:Better be able to speak a little Czech!
  • In a nutshell:Get out of Prague for a while and see some Czech countryside!
  • Last visit to Liberec: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2005

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2005 at 4:43 PM

This place looks really great. The photo of the town hall is really dramatic, the Czechs appear to really go for this floodlit effect.

rcargo

“Regret and fear are twin evils who rob us of today.”

Badges & Stats in Liberec

Have you been to Liberec?

Friends