"A Mighty Wind" Top 5 Page for this destination Yamba by Favzoz

Yamba Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 86 photos

I Went to See Russell Crowe but Found More

I went to Yamba because I went to see Russell Crowe. Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts did a show at the Yamba Bowling Club. They are a fun bar band (although I'm not sure they'd wish to be tagged as such-but I do like them) and I like to listen to their music when I travel. And Crowded House...I never tire of them. If you see me in an airport, I will in all likelihood be wearing earphones & keeping time to their music.

In his opening comments Mr. Crowe tried to incorporate something about the locale into his remarks. He'd been told that "yamba" means wind...but not just any wind...a mighty BIG wind. Hm. Would I have learned that if I hadn't gone to the show...or Yamba? I'm not sure.

One thing I do know. My teenager, who I "forced" to go with me, stood for most of the show shifting his weight from one foot to the other, trying to be interested...but having a bit of difficulty convincing me or himself. That is, until the band did a rousing rendition of Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues! (I, on the other hand, had a GREAT time the entire evening because I knew all the songs and sang along!) That song pulled him in and the whole place was having a rocking, fun time! I guess he would say, "it was an experience." I give him kudos for putting up with my idiosyncratic interests and for going along for the ride!

The Port of Yamba

Yamba is Australia's eastern most seaport, located at the mouth of the Clarence River. The Clarence, NSW's largest river, has over a 100 islands. Bundjalung and Yuragir National Parks are nearby. New South Wales' second largest fishing fleet makes its home here. It is a three hours drive, south, from Brisbane and nine hours north of Sydney along the Pacific Highway. There is a lighthouse at Yamba, for those interested in such; very picturesque. The climate is subtropical. I was there in August and it was sunny and warm during the day, evenings a bit cooler.

Yamba has a walking trail which takes you around the village and along the beach. There is a lovely jetty, where you can walk. I could have sat there for hours contemplating the ocean. If you need to renew yourself, Yamba is highly recommended as a place to give it a go! There seemed to be lots of hotels and getaway places in Yamba, discreetly tucked into the village. You can get everywhere on foot. I enjoyed walking, even though we had a car.

I took a walk early one morning and watched a gentleman who'd just come in from fishing cleaning his catch and tossing the leftovers to the hungrily assembled pelicans. They must be used to this ritual as they were all lined up and ready. The fresh air and beautiful views were bonuses.

Yamba is a gem worth visiting and spending time in. We only scratched the surface of things there. It deserves a lot more attention than I had time to give.I can't wait to return one day!

• Pros:Beautiful coastal fishing village and resort, laid back, picturesque, great beaches
  • Cons:A bit hidden away, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?
  • In a nutshell:A Gem of a Surprise!
  • Last visit to Yamba: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2005

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2005 at 1:28 AM

Good pages. I'm having trouble reconciling you grooving on a dance floor though!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2005 at 4:15 AM

Haven't been to Yamba for absolute "yonks" so it was good to read your tips & view the lovely photos. Must bet back up there. You didn't visit Angourie where all the best surfers are when the waves are on?

Favzoz

“Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Yamba