"What can I say?" Heerlen by Zarasher
Heerlen Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 14 photos
Heerlen is a municipality and a town in the southeastern Netherlands and the second biggest city in the province of Limburg.
In the 19th century it became a centre for the coal mining industry.
A distinctive building in the city centre is the so-called Glaspaleis (Glass Palace), which was put on a list of the 1000 most important buildings of the 20th century by the Union of International Architects in 1999 (after it had been declared a national monument in 1995). It was commissioned in the mid-1930's by fabric merchant Peter Schunck, who was inspired by a similar building in Rouen, France, and built in Bauhaus-style by architect Frits Peutz. The purpose was to create an atmosphere of a market, with all goods exposed in the shop in stead of back in the stock-room, a rather revolutionary idea at the time, as were the shopping windows (this was still a rather provincial town at the time). Also controversial was the idea to undertake a project of this scale during the depression, but Schunck's reply was that that was exactly the right time because labour was cheap and it was a stimulus to the economy. In the early 21st century it was renovated and now houses the public library, a film house, an art house, an architectural centre (Vitruvianum) and a music school.
Zarasher's Related Pages
Heerlen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heerlen Limburg Netherlands"
- "What can I say?"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Heerlen
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Heerlen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heerlen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 42 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atlanta Intro, 19 reviews, 8 photos
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Brixton Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morro Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Dakar Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- The Gambia Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tobago Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Philadelphia Intro, 1 review, 3 photos