"Village of Tieta" Mangue Sêco by Zarasher

Mangue Sêco Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 12 photos

A Luz de Tieta

I first got the urge to go to Mangue Seco after watching the Brazillian film Tieta Do Agreste. There is a scene where Tieta and her companion are driving up and down sand dunes. Afterwards they roll down the dunes and the song A Luz de Tieta is playing:

“Todo dia é o mesmo dia
A vida é tão tacanha
Nada novo sob o sol
Tem que se esconder no escuro
Quem na luz se banha
Por debaixo do lençol
Nessa terra a dor é grande
E a ambição pequena
Carnaval e futebol
Quem não finge
Quem não mente
Quem mais goza e pena
É que serve de farol”

When they played that song... and I saw those dunes, the sand buggies, the sun and the clear skies I wanted to be there soooo bad! So I finally got my chance to go.

On the way...

We left off in a mini Bus for Barra, picked up a couple of other people near Iguatemi and started on the Linha Verde (Green Line, the road that leads up to Pontal, the first ecological highway of the country, planned to prevent any impacts against the still virgin nature of the region. This ecological road binds the Bahia to the Sergipe.) We reached Pontal in about 3 hours and left the bus to catch a boat over to Mangue Seco.

Amazing sand dunes!!!

As soon as we arrived we got on one of the sand buggies… It was so much fun catching the breeze sitting on top of one the buggies, all the whilst shrieking for the driver to go faster “Depressa… depressa.” We then stopped to do some sandboarding. After seeing Neville topple over I wasn’t about to attempt riding the dune sanding up and so went on the board sitting down… did that a few times and then got back on the Buggy which took us to a beach.

After laying out in the sun for a while the urge to run in the water despite not having brought swimwear was immense. Kay and I ran down to a deserted part of the beach and went in in our underwear. We attempted to swim and the waves attempted to drown us… It was fun. I can say that now cos I made it out of there alive… LOL

After swimming (or should I say attempted swimming) we sat down to a mean of Moqueca de Camarao (Bahian Prawn Stew)… mmm delicious… After more sun soaking it was time to head back to Salvador… but I’ll definitely be back and for at least two days next time!

• Pros:The sand, the sun, the peace, the fruit, whooooole thing!
  • Cons:You might get bored if you were there too long
  • In a nutshell:How many places can you ride on a sand dune?
  • Last visit to Mangue Sêco: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated May 26, 2006

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 12:37 PM

Unfortunately I haven't seen the fim yet but will defenitely put it on my list. Glad you liked Mangue Seco too.

Zarasher

“Plane plane fly away!”

Badges & Stats in Mangue Sêco

Have you been to Mangue Sêco?

Latest Activity in Mangue Sêco