"All I want is some ACARAJE!" Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia by Zarasher
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide: 630 reviews and 1,335 photos
The first time I went to Brazil was in Easter 2005 I was a bit apprehensive about travelling alone, but it worked out well as I met a girl who was also from London in the hostel that I was staying at... Luckily I met her as there was hardly ever anyone staying there!
I Went to the beach nearly everyday... There are so many beaches that you can go to a different one each day. We had a map and would pick a different one to go to most days and just get a cab there. After the first few days we started bussing it around.
On my second visit, I stayed in an apartment in Barra, about 5 minutes away from the beach. Staying in Barra was great… No stress… taking it easy…taking in the sounds, sights and smells of the street…
Samba blasting from a passing car…little boys juggling sticks in the street…the arcarje women in their frilly white dresses and elegant head wraps… the smell of the sea and burning palm oil... mmmmm
This time (3rd time) I stayed in Barra again, and spent the majority of my time on Porto Barra Beach. ! I loo-ooove the beach especially the food and drink on tap... Love to hear "Ohla ohla quejo!" never thought before I came here that I could get addicted to straight lumps of cheese on a stick. Never thought I'd try lumps of melted cheese with oregano and honey and love it so much!
You can find me in da club... full of bub...
In the UK when going clubbing, there is a tendency to leave really late, especially in London... This mode of thinking did not work in Brazil as Pelhourinho kinda shuts down not long after midnight.
We would spend most of the day either on the beach or wandering around and come back in the evening really tired. We would always plan to wake up to go out at about 9/10 but would never wake in time. This particular night we woke at about 1am and decided that we were going to a club no matter what.
We got in a cab and tried to tell him to take us to any club, but with limited Portuguese this was very difficult! In any event we managed to get into a club not long after 2am.
It was a club in Barra called OFF. It turned out to be a gay club and suprisingly was alot of fun. When we got there the downstairs area was quite empy with alot of people lounging around on chairs, not doing much.
After about an hour we ventured upstairs and my my my if it wasnt all going on up there!
It was absolutely packed with scantily clad bar men and ladies blindfolding people and pouring alcohol into their mouths... This picture was taken during that process!
I realised this time why there aren't many clubs in Salvador. The beach is the club
There are more pictures... I think in my travelogues... check them out!
Thats all for now...
- Pros:Beautiful Weather, Beautiful People, plentiful good cheap food!
- Cons:People begging, Lack of jobs for local people
- In a nutshell:I just loved it and I'll definitely be back
Most of the time I travlled around the city by bus. the fare being 1 Reais 50 per journey. You can also get the... more travel advice
From the outside you could easily miss this gem. It is very simple and understated. On the inside there are firm... more travel advice
- See All Are you rocking acrylic?
- See All Sit on the beach and soak in the...
- See All Always Haggle
- See All Gay/Drag Club
- See All Take a Trip to Mangue Seco
Zarasher's Related Pages
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salvador da Bahia"
- "Salvador - Africa in Brazil"
- "All I want is some ACARAJE!"
- "Salvador de Bahia: african roots are here"
- "Salvador Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salvador da Bahia
- Hotels in Salvador da Bahia
- Transportation in Salvador da Bahia
- Nightlife in Salvador da Bahia
- Restaurants in Salvador da Bahia
- Shopping in Salvador da Bahia
- Warnings and Dangers in Salvador da Bahia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Salvador da Bahia
- 42 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 52 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Salvador da Bahia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salvador da Bahia
- Posted in Travel Lisbon Forum "Re: Blackberry PrePaid Sim in..."
- updated a Salvador da Bahia Travel Page "All I want is some ACARAJE!"
- Commented on one of jwilliams2005's Salvador da Bahia travel pages
- Wrote a Review Are you rocking acrylic? in Salvador da Bahia Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take the bus if you can"
Photos in Salvador da BahiaSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 42 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atlanta Intro, 19 reviews, 8 photos
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Brixton Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morro Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Dakar Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- The Gambia Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobago Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Philadelphia Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
Latest Salvador da Bahia hotel reviews
- Hotel Casa do Amarelindo
- 388 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Bahiacafe Hotel
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Pousada do Boqueirao
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Pousada Terra Nossa
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Nega Maluca Guesthouse
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Pousada da Mangueira
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Village Novo
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2013
- Barra Guest Hostel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Albergue do Pelo
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Atlantic Towers
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 21, 2013
- Pousada da Saude
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2012
- Albergue das Laranjeiras
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 31, 2012
- Albergue dos Anjos
- 1 Review & Opinion