"All I want is some ACARAJE!" Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia by Zarasher

Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide: 636 reviews and 1,346 photos

Sunrise on the Beach

The first time I went to Brazil was in Easter 2005 I was a bit apprehensive about travelling alone, but it worked out well as I met a girl who was also from London in the hostel that I was staying at... Luckily I met her as there was hardly ever anyone staying there!

I Went to the beach nearly everyday... There are so many beaches that you can go to a different one each day. We had a map and would pick a different one to go to most days and just get a cab there. After the first few days we started bussing it around.

On my second visit, I stayed in an apartment in Barra, about 5 minutes away from the beach. Staying in Barra was great… No stress… taking it easy…taking in the sounds, sights and smells of the street…

Samba blasting from a passing car…little boys juggling sticks in the street…the arcarje women in their frilly white dresses and elegant head wraps… the smell of the sea and burning palm oil... mmmmm

Porto Barra Beach

This time (3rd time) I stayed in Barra again, and spent the majority of my time on Porto Barra Beach. ! I loo-ooove the beach especially the food and drink on tap... Love to hear "Ohla ohla quejo!" never thought before I came here that I could get addicted to straight lumps of cheese on a stick. Never thought I'd try lumps of melted cheese with oregano and honey and love it so much!

In Da Club

You can find me in da club... full of bub...

In the UK when going clubbing, there is a tendency to leave really late, especially in London... This mode of thinking did not work in Brazil as Pelhourinho kinda shuts down not long after midnight.

We would spend most of the day either on the beach or wandering around and come back in the evening really tired. We would always plan to wake up to go out at about 9/10 but would never wake in time. This particular night we woke at about 1am and decided that we were going to a club no matter what.

We got in a cab and tried to tell him to take us to any club, but with limited Portuguese this was very difficult! In any event we managed to get into a club not long after 2am.

It was a club in Barra called OFF. It turned out to be a gay club and suprisingly was alot of fun. When we got there the downstairs area was quite empy with alot of people lounging around on chairs, not doing much.

After about an hour we ventured upstairs and my my my if it wasnt all going on up there!

It was absolutely packed with scantily clad bar men and ladies blindfolding people and pouring alcohol into their mouths... This picture was taken during that process!

I realised this time why there aren't many clubs in Salvador. The beach is the club

There are more pictures... I think in my travelogues... check them out!

Thats all for now...

• Pros:Beautiful Weather, Beautiful People, plentiful good cheap food!
  • Cons:People begging, Lack of jobs for local people
  • In a nutshell:I just loved it and I'll definitely be back
  • Last visit to Salvador da Bahia: Jan 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 21, 2011

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I have been in Brazil once and would like to go again. Nice pages and top shop in the main picture!

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Extremely interesting pages you have here. I come back with better time, keep going you have very nice photos. Take care.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2007 at 6:14 AM

fantastic page, I so want to get back to Brazil to see Salvador!

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Hi. Great Salvador page. I was staying in Barra in 2005 - but only for a week. Had a really nice time. How long time did you stay in Salvador?

• abmukam's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Hi there! I like your tips as well! At some point you were asking what kind a building it was next the elevator... I had the same curiosity too so I went there...It is the place where the major of Bahia State, Mr Wagner, works…

• Kittelite's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Remember the chinese shop opposite to the beach staircase? They will try to charge you for extra cups!! HA-HA..Its TRUE!! :D

• Feb 17, 2007 at 4:08 AM

wishing ribbon, I hope it works.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 5:20 AM

A good page here! Such insightful tips and nice photos. My ratings are with you. Greetings from the desert :-) Jess

• GandalfOnTour's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2006 at 2:51 AM

Great Tips!!! Sounds like a wicked place and definitely worth a visit.

• mikegr's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 8:30 AM

Hey - great guide to salvador - I am there now and wil definitely take some of your recommendations - I tried to vote for some of your tips but this computer has a pop-up blocker which I can´t disable - sorry. best wishes - Mike

Zarasher Visits Here Frequently!

Zarasher

“Plane plane fly away!”

Badges & Stats in Salvador da Bahia

Have you been to Salvador da Bahia?

Latest Activity in Salvador da Bahia