"600 year old ruins" Casa Grande National Monument by leplaya
Casa Grande National Monument Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 87 photos
No one knows why it was built, but there it is a large (about 3 stories) building in the middle of the desert, 50 miles south of Phoenix. It was built by the Hohokam about 600 years ago and abandoned a few centuries for some reason. It's more than just the Casa. The ruins are actually more of a village, with many small buildings surrounding the casa.
It's a pretty strange sight (especially with the modern canopy built over it), but really isn't too exciting.
From I-10 there are signs to the monument, but it's actually about 15 miles away (to the left if you're coming from Phoenix). The town of Casa Grande, AZ is 5 miles in the opposite direction, so look carefully for signs to the monument.
- Pros:Large archaeological ruin you could see from upclose
- Cons:Nothing too exciting, far away from civilization
- In a nutshell:If you're driving between Tucson and Phoenix, it's worth a stop.
leplaya's Related Pages
Casa Grande National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Casa Grande National Monument~ "Great House""
- "Basaic Casa Grande National Monument Page"
- "Jumping Around Casa Grande National Monument!"
- "The Big House"
- "600 year old ruins"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Casa Grande National Monument
- Shopping in Casa Grande National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Casa Grande National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Casa Grande National Monument
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Casa Grande National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Casa Grande National Monument
Top 10 Pages
- Sevilla Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Córdoba Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Grindelwald Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Granada Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Inishmore Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- San Francisco 14 reviews, 2 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Lisbon 10 reviews, 4 photos
- Dublin Intro, 8 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.