"So Much Music..." Salzburg by leplaya
Salzburg Travel Guide: 2,591 reviews and 6,004 photos
From Mozart to the Sound of Music, Salzburg is filled with music history and it really shows (at least during the summer). The liveliest time to visit, which just happened to be when we visited, is the Salzburger Festspiele, a month-long festival in August. During this festival there are concerts several times a day, including lots of Mozart. Apparently in 2006, there will be an even larger celebration marking Mozart?s 250th anniversary. Unfortunately, this also means that finding a place to stay is very difficult and expensive. What we did was stay about 45 minutes outside the city and took the train in. It saved us a lot of money and we got a chance to see a small, Austrian, mountain village.
Old town Salzburg is an area with small pedestrian roads lined with lots of stores and restaurants, with a castle overlooking it. This is where all the tourists are and where most of the attractions are located. During the Festspiele, it gets so crowded that you almost have to push people out of your way to get anywhere (don?t worry, it doesn?t get violent). To really give the place a musical feel, there are speakers located in various areas along the streets, playing classical music.
Outside the old town, there are also a lot of interesting sites, including the Mirabell garden and palace, which is a great place to relax after going through the crowds in old town.
- Pros:A lot going on, great attractions
- Cons:in the summer it can get crowded and expensive
There are two major Mozart houses in Salzburg. The Mozartgebutshaus is the birthplace of Mozart and the place where he... more travel advice
leplaya's Related Pages
Salzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mozarts Music and Mozart's Kugeln & Nockerl"
- "The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!"
- "One order of Salzburg, please . . ."
- "Fairyland for Real......"
- "SALZBURG - A CITY I LOVED!"
- "Salzburg and the central Austria lake region."
- "Mozart Music and More"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salzburg
- Hotels in Salzburg
- Transportation in Salzburg
- Nightlife in Salzburg
- Restaurants in Salzburg
- Shopping in Salzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Salzburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salzburg
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Salzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salzburg
Top 10 Pages
- Sevilla Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Córdoba Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Grindelwald Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Granada Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Inishmore Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- San Francisco 14 reviews, 2 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Lisbon 10 reviews, 4 photos
- Dublin Intro, 8 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.