"A Picturesque Oasis" Huacachina by Rickman77
Huacachina Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 119 photos
Huacachina was a nice little town to spend a few days in. The Oasis here is beautiful and defintely a sight to see after seeing nothing but desert and ugly cities for the week or so previous.
The S/50 (50 Soles = $16) note has a picture of the Oasis on the back of it so apparently it is one of the nations beautiful treasures.
Sitting by the pool, sunning, reading and relaxing was nice. I wasn't quite in the mood for such a laid back destination just yet though. The real highlight of Huacachina was the dunebuggy tour.
We set out 2 hours before sunset into the dunes with our sandboards. The dunes are giant and picture perfect, just like the ones you have always seen in the movies. We started out with a quick but exciting ride to our first mini dune for sandboarding. Followed by a ride to a bigger dune, and yet a bigger dune still, until we were finally boarding down mountains of sand.
The sandboarding was exciting, mainly because the boards aren't that easy to control and even harder to stop. Half the fun was watching people build up speed and then bust, tumbling down the dune.
The real adventure was the dunebuggy though. We tore through the desert in an 8 man dunebuggy at crazy speeds. Wheels spinning underneath trying to get traction, skidding stops, up 60 degree slopes and down 70 degree ones. It was like an action packed roller coaster for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Indeed it was much better (and surely more dangerous) than any roller coaster I have ever been on. I was whooping and yelling with excitement the whole time while several of the girls on the tour were screaming with terror. This has defintely been some of the best two hours of my trip so far!
To finish off the tour we stopped and took pictures then drove off into the sunset and back to the Oasis.
Check the travelogue below for pictures.
- Pros:Nothing to do but relax...and sandboard
- Cons:Nothing to do but relax
- In a nutshell:It´s like being at the beach in the middle of the desert
If you go to Huacachina definetly do the dune buggy tour. Several hostels offer them and they are all about the same.... more travel advice
Rickman77's Related Pages
Huacachina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Huacachina, a beautiful Oasis on Earth"
- "Huacachina: a true Oasis"
- "Sand, desert, dunes and yourself..."
- "a place to chill, party and play in the sand"
- "Tranquility Amidst Beauty"
- "Sandsurfers paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Huacachina
- Hotels in Huacachina
- Transportation in Huacachina
- Restaurants in Huacachina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Huacachina
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Huacachina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Huacachina
Photos in HuacachinaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Oregon Intro, 4 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Colca Intro, 20 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puerto Rico Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jackson Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arequipa Intro, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tahoe City Intro, 1 review, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Miraflores Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Huacachina Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue