"My Home Town" Grande Prairie by jojocan
Grande Prairie Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 42 photos
As I went around today, I realized just how pretty Grande Prairie is. Its funny, because you spend everyday in your home town, and you don' t look at things like a tourist would. But today, as I walked around taking pictures, I remembered why I love my town, and why I would never leave here!
You know, I really love this town. People come to Alberta to see the mountains, and they always go to Jasper or Banff or Calgary, the large centres. There is so much more to see and learn in the smaller locations. We have great quadding and ski-doing places here, as well as horseback riding, mountain biking, and walking trails. And thats all within 2 hours of here! The community in Grande Prairie is great. It is such a small town atmosphere. I have lived here for 17 years, and can go into almost anywhere and know somebody enough to chat to them. You can't do that in Edmonton or Calgary. Kids play hockey on the streets in town. Everyone comes out for the parade. Its such a great place. i wish more people would come up north to see it! And if and when you do, drop me a line so I can introduce you around!!!
In Grande Prairie, this is a usual site. With the town growing by leaps and bounds, there is always road construction (good for me as I work in that industry!) and home building going on everywhere you look. Last year the city permit department gave out over 900 home building permits, this year, in April, they have come close to that already! They expect to give out over 1200 permits this year, just for new homes!
- Pros:everybody knows everybody, small town atmosphere, great outdoor activities
- Cons:everybody knows everybody (not always a good thing when you are looking to get a little crazy), cold weather in winter
- In a nutshell:A family based community open to visitors!
O'Brian Park is just outside of Grande Prairie, and is a great day use area. There is a park for kids, campfire areas,... more travel advice
Grande Prairie has two radio stations, one country, one everything but country. 97.7 SunFM is everything but country,... more travel advice
- See All Local News
- Great Specials all week long!
- See All Cowboys and.... well, what more do you...
jojocan's Related Pages
Grande Prairie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home Town"
- "The Grand life in Grande Prairie!"
- "My New Home"
- "Just a stop over?....best hotel on trip!"
- "Grande Prairie...Heart of the Peace River country"
- "GP Alberta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grande Prairie
- Hotels in Grande Prairie
- Transportation in Grande Prairie
- Restaurants in Grande Prairie
- Warnings and Dangers in Grande Prairie
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Grande Prairie
- 23 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Grande Prairie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grande Prairie
Photos in Grande PrairieSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waterton Lakes National Park Intro, 28 reviews, 28 photos
- Grande Prairie Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos
- Calgary Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valleyview Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Wyoming Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Red Deer Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Fort Macleod Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Hamilton Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Alberta 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Drumheller Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
Latest Grande Prairie hotel reviews
- Podollan Inn and Spa
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Ramada Grande Prairie Clairmont
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Quality Hotel And Conference Center, Grande Prairie
- 1 Review & Opinion