"My Home Town" Grande Prairie by jojocan

Grande Prairie Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 42 photos

As I went around today, I realized just how pretty Grande Prairie is. Its funny, because you spend everyday in your home town, and you don' t look at things like a tourist would. But today, as I walked around taking pictures, I remembered why I love my town, and why I would never leave here!

Grande Praire

You know, I really love this town. People come to Alberta to see the mountains, and they always go to Jasper or Banff or Calgary, the large centres. There is so much more to see and learn in the smaller locations. We have great quadding and ski-doing places here, as well as horseback riding, mountain biking, and walking trails. And thats all within 2 hours of here! The community in Grande Prairie is great. It is such a small town atmosphere. I have lived here for 17 years, and can go into almost anywhere and know somebody enough to chat to them. You can't do that in Edmonton or Calgary. Kids play hockey on the streets in town. Everyone comes out for the parade. Its such a great place. i wish more people would come up north to see it! And if and when you do, drop me a line so I can introduce you around!!!

In Grande Prairie, this is a usual site. With the town growing by leaps and bounds, there is always road construction (good for me as I work in that industry!) and home building going on everywhere you look. Last year the city permit department gave out over 900 home building permits, this year, in April, they have come close to that already! They expect to give out over 1200 permits this year, just for new homes!

• Pros:everybody knows everybody, small town atmosphere, great outdoor activities
  • Cons:everybody knows everybody (not always a good thing when you are looking to get a little crazy), cold weather in winter
  • In a nutshell:A family based community open to visitors!
  • Intro Updated Apr 25, 2005

• simona_georgescu21's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Hello,
    I am trying to find any important details about Grande Prairie. I'm coming there soon for work. I am from Romania, and I would like to find out everything about this town. I will be working in a hotel, as a waitress and my employer told me that he found a place where to live. It costs about 400$ per month and I would like to know what kind of home is that. Is there a room and a kitchen and a toilet or only one room. Please contact my on my messenger id: georgescu_simona21, I would be glad to find new things. Thank you very much and hope one of you will contact me.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Great tips. What, no night life? Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Yay!!!!! you should do handprints on it like in Hollywood to match your finger paintings ;o)

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2007 at 7:37 PM

LOL - I already NOTICED! See, I"m gooooooddddd :)

• bobsreturn2004's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2007 at 1:04 AM

Hi I am coming in 2 weeks for work.look forward to seeing you

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 10:46 AM

Beautiful nature in your area! It's nice to have so many trails. Interesting architecture of the College, never been to a building without corners :) greetings from Sofia

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 3:23 PM

yep, buffaloes seem cute...if they're under control and not chasing you?do they chase people? nice page on your hometown:)thanks

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 10:52 PM

You're living in a wonderful area.

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2006 at 5:25 PM

If they're having a hot air balloon fest this year, wanna go for a ride?

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2006 at 5:17 PM

One look at that adorable Maggie, any pain goes away ;-)

jojocan Lives Here!

jojocan

“Whoever said nothing's impossible never tried to nail jello to a tree (Lisa Bryant)”

Badges & Stats in Grande Prairie

Have you been to Grande Prairie?

Latest Activity in Grande Prairie