"St. Gallen" Sankt Gallen by bianchis
Sankt Gallen Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 261 photos
The eastern metropole St. Gallen is rich in history. Its name and beginning goes back to the time of the Monch Gallus in the year 612.
St. Gallen is situated between the 900 m high hills and at the edge of the Apppenzeller country. The old part of town of St.. Gallen lies iin the valley, bordered by wooded mountain-slopes and pretty houses. The old town centre is partially a pedestrian zone which makes it comfortable to explore.
The famous Erker the narrow streets and friendly street cafes are very inviting.
A further characteristic of the city: The good room were always found in the old houses on the first floor. You can still find some of cosy "urigen Esskneipen", which have the guest room and the kitchen all together on the first floor.
An attraction are the Erkers .
The citizens wanted to show their wealth so they built new oriels of all styles and description. It had to look as ornate as possible, multicolored and abstruse and it had have at least one figure with an out-stretched tongue: in order to annoy the neighbour! Thus the old part of town still boasts some magnificent oriels .
- Pros:Only and hour away from Zurich . Not far from the Austrian and German border. Starting point for trips into the mountains
- Cons:Less to know to tourist
- In a nutshell:From St. Gallen you have easy access to Lake Constance, Appenzell, and Mt. Säntis. explore go hiking orbiking on the well-marked paved paths just beyond the town's outskirts.
bianchis' Related Pages
Sankt Gallen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The fantastic abbey of St.Gallen"
- "Sankt Gallen"
- "Another unscheduled stop, another festival!"
- "Sankt-Gallen - at the heart of Eastern Switzerland"
- "Monastery - Library - Embroidery - Old City"
- "Home sweet home"
- "Oriel windows galore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sankt Gallen
- Hotels in Sankt Gallen
- Transportation in Sankt Gallen
- Nightlife in Sankt Gallen
- Restaurants in Sankt Gallen
- Shopping in Sankt Gallen
- Warnings and Dangers in Sankt Gallen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sankt Gallen
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Sankt Gallen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sankt Gallen
Photos in Sankt GallenSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 6 reviews, 233 photos, 18 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 22 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Carriacou Island Intro, 16 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Grenada Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bern Intro, 3 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sri Lanka Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kanton Aargau Intro, 6 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 7 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Cayman Intro, 14 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 9 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue