"Samana revisited" Provincia de Samaná by bianchis
Provincia de Samaná Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 288 photos
After my first visit to Dom Rep I again choose Samana as I found it unspoilt and hoped it wouldn't have lost too much of its originality. I was well aware that after a 10 hour flight from Zurich to Puerto Plata there was another 4 1/2 road trip with lots of potholes to the hotel in Las Galeras. If it was worth it I am not really sure but we stayed really far away from all "civilization" in Villa Serena las Galeras. I did pay a visit to Las Terenas and was shocked at the changes which took place after my 12 years of absence. My memories were of long deserted beaches and what I found was one hotel complex after another and because the sewer goes unfiltered into the sea swimming is difficult because of all the seaweeds.
Playa Rincon still unspoilt but dont go there when the ships come in.
Not to miss was the Nostrils of the Devil which literally is a blowhole a sight to see when the waves come bursting through creating such a force that it looks like steam rising upwards
Los Haitises (Haitises means high land or land of mountains)
covers an area of 1200 km2 and is to the south of Samana formed over millions of years by marine organisms.
Took about 45 minutes with a catamaran from Samana's harbour. The pelicans, herons, terns, frigates, even an occasional falcon nesting in the high rocks a spectacle. Taíno caves impressive with Taíno drawings of families, men hunting, supernatural beings or eerie shapes of rock formation reminding you of a temple.
Remember to keep in sight of your guide whether in the caves or on the river. The mangrove forest can be a tricky place I wouldn't want to get lost in it.
- Cons:Motorcycles produce a lot of fumes and pollution but it helps families with transport. Rubbish is disposed of everywhere and rivers and beaches are full of rubbish
- In a nutshell:Changing rapidly and the last of nature is being lost to tourism me included
bianchis' Related Pages
Provincia de Samaná Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Samana peninsula"
- "Discover Samaná"
- "Lovely city with amazing nature emmaculate beach"
- "This is Samana"
- "Whale Watching"
- "Welcome to Samana"
- "Provincia de Samana"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia de Samaná
- Hotels in Provincia de Samaná
- Transportation in Provincia de Samaná
- Nightlife in Provincia de Samaná
- Restaurants in Provincia de Samaná
- Shopping in Provincia de Samaná
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de Samaná
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de Samaná
- 1 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Provincia de Samaná?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de Samaná
Photos in Provincia de SamanáSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 6 reviews, 233 photos, 18 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 22 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Carriacou Island Intro, 16 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Grenada Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bern Intro, 3 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sri Lanka Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kanton Aargau Intro, 6 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 7 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Cayman Intro, 14 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 9 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue