"The wonderful world of Swiss mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Canton du Valais by bianchis
Canton du Valais Travel Guide: 1,034 reviews and 3,001 photos
What comes to my mind when think of Valais - mountains – Matterhorn ski holidays – sunshine – wine vineyards or the famous Aletsch glacier.
Where is the Valais or Wallis - It is in the south west of Switzerland and stretches for 150 km from the lake of Geneva to the Rhone glacier.
Here you can also find the highest mountain in Switzerland Monte Rosa, which also borders on Italy, with the Dufourspitze 4636 metres above sea level. A fantastic view of some of these mountain tops can be seen from the Gornergrad which can be access with the cogwheel train from Zermatt.
As legend would have it, after God created the world he wanted to take a day of rest in order to contemplate his creations.
Maybe there were a few things he could improve. So he put on his hiking boots picked up his walking stick and hiked from one planet to the other.
When he set foot on Planet Earth he came across the Theodul Pass and there he stuck his stick into the ground. It stuck so fast into the rock that he couldn't get it out again.
The stick broke and the remaining broken piece was then called God's walking stick today the "Matterhorn"
- Pros:Spectacular scenery in winter and summer
- Cons:Too little time to see everything
- In a nutshell:When the road ends the rail takes over to lead you into the remotest corners of Switzerland
Certainly worth a visit. Lots to do and lots to see. Whether you can ski or not there is cross country skiing, or... more travel advice
bianchis' Related Pages
Canton du Valais Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great part of Switzerland"
- "Sunny and snowy Paradise"
- "valais french and german speaking mountain canton"
- "Walking in the Valais"
- "The wonderful world of Swiss mountains"
- "Wallis/Valais canton of the Matterhorn"
- "Valais - Wallis"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canton du Valais
- Hotels in Canton du Valais
- Transportation in Canton du Valais
- Nightlife in Canton du Valais
- Restaurants in Canton du Valais
- Shopping in Canton du Valais
- Warnings and Dangers in Canton du Valais
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canton du Valais
- 12 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Canton du Valais?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canton du Valais
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 6 reviews, 233 photos, 18 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 22 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Carriacou Island Intro, 16 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Grenada Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bern Intro, 3 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sri Lanka Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kanton Aargau Intro, 6 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 7 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Cayman Intro, 14 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 9 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (20)
Top Canton du Valais hotels
- Zermatt Hotels
- 535 Reviews - 1494 Photos
- Brig Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 266 Photos
- Verbier Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 81 Photos
- Sion Hotels
- 121 Reviews - 426 Photos
- Saas-Fee Hotels
- 97 Reviews - 172 Photos
- Champéry Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 37 Photos
- Zinal Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 16 Photos
- Veysonnaz Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Vercorin Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Täsch Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 10 Photos
- Stalden Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Saint-Gingolph Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Saas-Grund Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Saas-Almagel Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 26 Photos
- Martigny-Croix Hotels
- 1 Hotel