"A day trip to Porto Santo" Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island by bianchis
Porto Santo Island Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 170 photos
Located 46 km north-east of Madeira, with a 9-km stretch of golden, sandy beach.
Vila Baleira, is a small village in comparison to Funchal. Apart from its major attraction, the beach, the island is vocanic and all you see is cactus and grey in grey.
The Portuguese navigators first landed on Porto Santo in 1418 and it was the first land they discovered before Madeira. it was a year later that they set sail for Madeira.
The island is very dry and to stop the erosion thousands of trees have been planted-The result can be seen around Pico do Facho and do Gandala or in Morenos.
You can travel by ferry from Madeira it takes about 2 1/2 hours. It is an interesting journey and you have a really nice view of the coastal outline of the island from the ship.
The best part was leaving Funchal early in the morning by ferry and experiencing the coastline of Madeira and arriving in Porto Santo.
Because of lack of vegetation it seemed like a desert island.
The sand on the beach is supposed to have healing qualities. Unlike normal beach sand which usually is made of silica the sand consists of the sediment from coral, mussels and sea urchins.
- Pros:Worth a day's trip
- Cons:Besides the beach not much to do on the island
- In a nutshell:The ferry trip was the highlight of the trip
You have an excellent view of the airport from the ship on the way to Porto Santo. 10 km long, gold-yellow sand beach... more travel advice
Amazingly different from the island of Madeira. Almost no vegetation at all. The southern coast is bordered by a 9 Kms.... more travel advice
bianchis' Related Pages
Porto Santo Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Porto Santo Island - Recreation for soul and body"
- "porto santo"
- "The island of the golden sand"
- "A day trip to Porto Santo"
- "Porto Santo"
- "PORTO SANTO"
- "Rob Craig on the tiny island of Porto Santo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porto Santo Island
- Hotels in Porto Santo Island
- Transportation in Porto Santo Island
- Nightlife in Porto Santo Island
- Restaurants in Porto Santo Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porto Santo Island
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Porto Santo Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porto Santo Island
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 6 reviews, 233 photos, 18 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 22 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Carriacou Island Intro, 16 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Grenada Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bern Intro, 3 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sri Lanka Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kanton Aargau Intro, 6 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 7 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Cayman Intro, 14 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 9 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue