"Home is where the heart is" bianchis's Profile

Home

Hi! I am a gypsy at heart and since I discovered this site I am hooked. Born in Guyana
Guyana Land of Many Waters

Cayman Island
St. Lucia
Curacao
Grand Cayman

You must understand the whole of life, not just one little part of it. That is why you must read, that is why you must look at the skies, that is why you must sing, and dance, and write poems, and suffer, and understand, for all that is life.
Author: Jiddu Krishnamurti

My home since 42 yearsSwitzerland

Amazing is the discussion forum where you can ask anything and the response is enormous. Thanks VT

Born in Guyana on an island on the mouth of the Essequibo river which is a tributary from the great Orinoco. My father was a headmaster and as such we moved around a lot. So I was able to experience all the 3 counties of Guyana. Demerara, Essequibo and Berbice.

My growing up years was spent in Berbice where I spent a wild and carefree childhood climbing trees, canoeing down the canals which the Dutch built to irrigate the ricefields.

My girlfriend and myself had some real escapades which I could document in a story of my life. We roamed the outbacks from the age of 6 to 12 without our parents having a clue where we were. We were regular tomboys and loved the "backdam" as we called it in those days.

This freedom was suddenly cut short when my mother realized I was becoming a teenager and she immediately curtailed and watched every move I made. The big danger being "boys". I hated them anyway so I dont know what was the big deal. My experience with boys was having 4 brothers who wouldn let me play with them or take part in all the exciting things they did in the "backdam".

Life was an adventure and they kept me out of it by saying that I was only a girl and not supposed to roam around in the outbacks.

Guyana many years ago

Not many peope know Guyana where I was born. A country of exceptional natural beauty, is a splendid combination of the Caribbean and South America.

Perched on the north-east corner of the South American continent, Guyana. Stretches 450 miles from its long Atlantic coastline into dense equatorial forest and the broad savannah of the Rupununi.

Life in Guyana is dominated by mighty rivers, including the Demerara, the Berbice and the Essequibo, which provide essential highways into the rain forests and jungles of the interior. Guyana remains one of the world's most exciting destinations for adventuresome travel and exploration. Setting out for the interior by boat, light aircraft or 4x4, you encounter the natural heritage of Guyana.

Jaguar still roam the rain forest, and the unearthly cries of troups of howler monkeys echo through the trees. The Giant River Otter, the Black Caiman, and the Arapaima (the largest freshwater fish in the world) swim in the rivers of the Rupununi. Flashes of scarlet, yellow and blue burst through the forest's intense green as macaws fly like arrows across a clearing in the canopy.

Toucans, and the awesome Harpy Eagle, swoop through the trees, while the beautiful but elusive Guyana Cock-of-the-Rock lingers around the waters of Kaieteur Falls. More than 700 indigenous species of birds adorn Guyana's forests.

Do you know that this is the only country in South America where English is spoken.

Although I left donkey years ago I still have fond memories of my childhood days. I live now live in Switzerland .

Unfortunately there are many political problems which makes it dangerous for tourist. However, nothing ventured nothing gained

A must on your trip to Guyana is the Kaiture Falls
Here is a link if you want to find out some more about Guyana

My favourite poem as a child

Foreign Lands

By Robert Louis Stevenson

Up into the cherry tree
Who should climb but little me?
I held the trunk with both my hands
And looked abroad in foreign lands.

I saw the next door garden lie,
Adorned with flowers, before my eye,
And many pleasant places more
That I had never seen before.

I saw the dimpling river pass
And be the sky's blue looking-glass;
The dusty roads go up and down
With people tramping in to town.

If I could find a higher tree
Farther and farther I should see,
To where the grown-up river slips
Into the sea among the ships,

To where the road on either hand
Lead onward into fairy land,
Where all the children dine at five,
And all the playthings come alive.

• Intro Updated Jan 3, 2008

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
bianchis's Profile Photo

bianchis

“what`s around the corner”

Real Name