"Sharm, Sun & Sand" Sharm El Sheikh by tissie

Sharm El Sheikh Travel Guide: 1,354 reviews and 2,487 photos

Going to Sharm

I have just returned from a great week of sunbathing, snorkelling and generally relaxing in Sharm El Sheikh.

I was a bit worried before I went but I just wanted to say how useful VT has been with researching and planning the trip. And I also wanted to say - the terrorists won't win and I feel we must, as responsible travellers, travel to and support people in the places that have been attacked or threatened. Anyway, the recent bombings didn't put us off travelling, in fact we were even more determined.

We took a Thomson all-inclusive package so we were mollycoddled and taken care of (security guards on the coach excursions etc) but this made the holiday easy and relaxing which it might not have been if we, two women alone, were travelling independently.

I hope these pictures and tips will both reassure you and inspire you.

Charming people

Still feeling a bit weary as we had a longer than usual flight home (6 hours) and then a three-hour drive after that. I need a holiday!!

As I said above, we stayed on Thomson package and I was very pleasantly surprised. We even went on some Thomson excursions and I would recommend them to anyone. Yes, they were a bit more expensive than independent companies but every aspect of them was good - all security taken care of, very knowledgeable guides, air-conditioned coaches with toilets etc etc.

The Egyptian people we met were lovely. I could be cynical and say they would be as they were trying to sell something, get a tip etc but I don't think that is fair. They were helpful, friendly and generous, and their command of English (and usually several other languages) really puts UK tourists to shame. I learned a few simple words in Arabic which was appreciated but without their skills in English I would have missed out on a lot. Being Western it was initially strange to be dealing with men all the time - the hotel receptionist, the chamber"maid", the waiters etc etc but I soon came to understand the culture that allows women to be at home and cared for.

We stayed in the Dreams Vacation Resort in Sharm - highly recommended.

Shopping for bargains

You'll all know you are expected to haggle over the price of anything you want to buy in Sharm and the surrounding area but the shopkeepers we met in Dahab are one step ahead of us.

They were all trying to entice us into their shops to look at their lovely gifts, spices or whatever but then one guy launched into a great sales pitch:

"Buy one, get one free....it's ASDA price!"

Well, what can you do?!!

• Pros:All inclusive bargain holiday with sunshine
  • Cons:Hopefully none!
  • Last visit to Sharm El Sheikh: May 2006
  • Intro Updated May 31, 2006

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Sounds like a relaxing holiday! Good for you. Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2008 at 1:33 AM

The culture that keeps women at home and cared for....as long as you toe the line and keep your head down....I liked the atmospheric charnel house, too (I was there exactly 37 yrs. ago).

• Maxus's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2006 at 11:13 AM

Great pics and well written tips, excellent page.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2006 at 3:53 AM

A very interesting page on somewhere I don't want to go to!!! Good tips.

• Jul 10, 2006 at 12:40 PM

A great page, Lis. It is my dream to go to this end of the globe. Have a great week ahead.

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2006 at 8:20 AM

Sounds like you had a great holiday. I love snorkeling too, but only get to go occassionally. What's bakeesh -- money?

tissie

“The body flies while the soul walks”

Badges & Stats in Sharm El Sheikh

Have you been to Sharm El Sheikh?

Latest Activity in Sharm El Sheikh