"See it soon" Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk (County) by tissie
Norfolk (County) Travel Guide: 414 reviews and 916 photos
The Norfolk coast is under constant threat from the ravages of the sea and much of it, and its villages, is disappearing fast.
It is deemed to be uneconomic to try and hold the sea back (a lot of the land is reclaimed and so things are really going full circle) - so in the near future you will not be able to visit many of the lovely places there.
Sounds a bit glib to say "Go and visit now while it's still there" but we were amazed how much the sea had cut into the sand dunes since our last visit - the path nearest the edge had gone completely.
The county of Norfolk is in East Anglia in England - that bit that bulges out on the right above London as you look at a map! The north coast is rather fashionable - Chelsea-on-Sea it's known as I understand - but the rest of the county is laid back and waiting to welcome you.
The county town is Norwich - a city with a wonderful atmosphere, great shops and places to eat and a brilliant park and ride system!
You'll find countryside and coast, quiet places and places that bustle, everything you could want. It's a great county.
The area with which I am most familiar is known as The Broads. Land to the east and north of Norwich which sees Broads (man-made rivers created when peat was cut for building and fuel) cutting through fields, a lot of leisure boating, nature reserves and extensive views. Lovely.
I'm just back from a visit during which I was fortunate enough to attend an open air service at St Benet's Abbey. I travelled by boat (organised by Herbert Woods) from Potter Heigham to St Benet's and enjoyed a tranquil hour on the Broads, seeing wildlife, small riverside houses, windpumps and a variety of boats. The ruined abbey lies in the middle of a field and, rather bizarrely, has a windmill built into it. It is accessible by road but it was far more interesting to arrive by water. The abbey was made great by King Canute (him of holding back the waves) in 1020 A.D. after a small beginning in 800 A.D. and the position of the original High Altar is now marked by a large cross given to the abbey by HM Queen Elizabeth and made of oak from her estate at Sandringham in Norfolk. On the first Sunday of August a service is held there, led by the Bishop of Norfolk (who is also Abbot of St Benet's) who arrives on a wherry (a traditional sailing craft). There was a marvellous atmosphere during the service and many more people attended than usually attend local churches on Sunday morning! If you have the opportunity to attend this service next year I'll see you there!
- Pros:Wide open spaces, a great holiday destination
- Cons:People seem to gather like bees around honeypots
- In a nutshell:An excitingly gentle county
The Norfolk coast south of Cromer and north of the Broads is a pretty much forgotten part of the county. There are some... more travel advice
Sheringham is a lovely seaside town well worth a day's visit if you're staying in Norfolk or you could stay in the town... more travel advice
tissie's Related Pages
Norfolk (County) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Norfolk Broads"
- "Cromer in Norfolk"
- "See it soon"
- "Norfolk--Home of My Ancestors"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Norfolk (County)
- Hotels in Norfolk (County)
- Transportation in Norfolk (County)
- Nightlife in Norfolk (County)
- Restaurants in Norfolk (County)
- Shopping in Norfolk (County)
- Warnings and Dangers in Norfolk (County)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Norfolk (County)
- 18 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Norfolk (County)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Norfolk (County)
Photos in Norfolk (County)See All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 25 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk (County) Intro, 18 reviews, 17 photos
- Malta Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barmston Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- North Yorkshire Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Spilsby Intro, 11 reviews, 6 photos
- Singapore Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Biarritz Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 1 review, 6 photos