"My type of relax spot" Top 5 Page for this destination Jericoacoara by sabrina_florida

Jericoacoara Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 469 photos

Everything I expected and much more!

Jericoacoara is located 6 hours west from Fortaleza. To get there you need to travel 5 hours by coach and 1 hour on a 4x4 vehicle along the beach. So this means that the closest town to Jeri is an hour away. This makes Jeri a unique place: the exteeeeense beach, sandy streets, caphoeira (very typical Brazilian dance) at sunset, starry sky, laid-back vibe, great people... what else can you ask for?
By the way... Jericoacoara was only discovered 20 years ago... :)

The tide

The tide is out during the day, so from the village to the sea you need to walk around 400 mts. This makes the beach really unique and very deserted!
The sand is dark grey and the water is warm. You need to walk at least 200 mts while in the sea to be able to swim, but it's great to lay in the shallow waters while sunbathing and feeling the breeze.

Sunset

When the sun starts to go down different images start to appear: many people go up the big sand dune to watch the sunset, young local people start playing and dancing caphoeira on the beach, drinks vendors put up their stalls on the street leading to the beach and the smell of grilled espetinhos (meat in sticks) fill the air... this was my favourite moment in Jeri.

• Pros:Very laid-back, great people + atmosphere!
  • In a nutshell:I'll go back to Jeri with my mind very often...!
  • Last visit to Jericoacoara: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2007

• FruitLover's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 6:33 AM

Nice place, Sabrina! Greetings from Jerusalem & Jericho!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 2:16 AM

wonderful place, I would be frightened by giant insects and spiders

• Yiannis2000's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Hmmm, your nice comments bring back so many memories from Jeri... I ll try to get back there next year...

• Apr 20, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Thanks so much for the tips, Sabrina. My wife is working in Fortaleza this month and I am joining her next week. We will travel to Jeri and stay for 3 days. We are moving to Seattle when we return so we need to soak up the sunshine!

• Feb 27, 2007 at 7:42 AM

Lovely pics!! It seems a paradise....

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 2:07 AM

great page from jeri sabrina. brings back memories from my own visit there way back in 1992 when there were only 4 pousadas in town.

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Hi Sabrina, great pictures - Jericoacoara looks like paradise! Can I go there sometime? PLEASE!!!

• Stippleeffect's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 11:10 AM

Ah...Sandboarding..when you get it right, its great...when it goes wrong you get awful burns in odd places ;) You put me to shame with your enthusiasm to write tips so detailed and frequent =)

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Lovely pictures of Jeri...very nice tips. Sounds like the place to go to really relax at the beach! The bus to Jeri looks like great fun.

sabrina_florida

“When travelling solo, NEVER ask somebody else to take you a picture: they'll ruin it!!!”

Badges & Stats in Jericoacoara

Have you been to Jericoacoara?

Latest Activity in Jericoacoara