"The door to Thailand..." Bangkok by sabrina_florida

Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,482 reviews and 23,335 photos

My sister and I spent a total of 4 days in our 3-week visit to Thailand. Bangkok, its capital, is definitely chaotic, noisy, stuffy and hot, but still, it's AMAZING!
My best memories there include: Khao San Road (backpacker's hangout), all the wats (temples), street food and tuk-tuks! At first we were a bit afraid, as they didn't seem very safe, and although they are not that safe... we looooved them! and took them every time we had to move around. The drivers were in general very nice and friendly, but God the way they drive! at full speed and dodging all the time.
Thais were most of the time reaaaally nice and helpful, that is when I could understand when they were saying (lol!), yeah, at the beginning we found it quite difficult to understand them, as they don't use any grammar whatsoever, and their accent made it even worse. But as the days went by, our ears got used to it and honestly had no problems at all, except in Ayuttaya where people who spoke English were non-existant!
Another fun memory was whenever Thai men heard that we were from Argentina, ALL OF THEM would say: "Argentina! Good football!" or "Argentina! Maradona!". What's more... we counted at least 10 Thais wearing the Argentine football shirt! And believe me, we didn't see ANY Thais wearing a football shirt from other countries... just ours! :)
The only thing I totally disliked was western men hanging out with eastern girls. Some were couples, that's great 'cos they love each other, but most of them were together just for the sex...
After a few days in BKK... we went down to the south: Phuket, to continue to my favourite spot, Phi Phi islands, and then to Ko Phangan, Chiang Mai in the north, Ayuttaya, Ko Samet (didn't like it at all) and back to BKK for one more night.
This trip will stay in our memories forever! Thank you Thailand!!!!!!!!!!

• Pros:Great temples, great people, great culture, great value
  • Cons:So much to see... so little time
  • In a nutshell:WOW!
  • Last visit to Bangkok: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 19, 2007

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2009 at 3:40 AM

Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing. Hope your birthday is full of friends and laughter.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Great tips and photos! I especially like the tip about bargaining back-and-forth with the calculator.

• jethanand's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2008 at 9:16 AM

Very nice travellogue on Thailand - thank you very much for sharing. Is it "Kop Kun Krap" man saying to another person OR is it any person saying to man

• kaimari's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 6:26 AM

Hi Sab,,in dentist was same notice(hua hin) ;-)

• austarman's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Sabrina your photo's and tips of Bangkok are very good. Thanks for sharing them. ;-)

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Thanks for sharing however regarding handicrafts I had different impression I got some. Best of luck. (~_~)

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2007 at 2:33 AM

this page was created by hot vt babe of the year.

• trav4bus's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 10:53 PM

nice bkk pages

• Jasen71's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2006 at 1:30 PM

interesting tips of a different nature,, nice

• jrs1234's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2006 at 9:38 AM

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself! Nice pictures - cheers!

sabrina_florida

“When travelling solo, NEVER ask somebody else to take you a picture: they'll ruin it!!!”

Badges & Stats in Bangkok

Have you been to Bangkok?

Latest Activity in Bangkok