"German traditions in southern Africa" Namibia by Vita500
Namibia Travel Guide: 2,150 reviews and 6,270 photos
Namibia used to be a gorgeous country.
Being a German colony as of 1884 it was occupied by South Africa after WW I. In 1990 it declared its independence.
When I visited Namibia in 1997, I was surprised by the German influence being alive and visible all over the country: German street names, German advertisements, German signboards and the only German daily newspaper in whole Africa.
When we told people that we came from Germany many immediately switched from English into German. It was amazing...
Unfortunately, Namibia is suffering from a strong movement towards "independence" from western (white) influence. Expropriatation of foreigners is an acclaimed goal of the current government and antipathy is propagated throughout the country.
A real pity for this beautiful country!
Area : 824,000 sq km
Population : ~ 2 million
Capital city : Windhoek
Population : ~ 200,000
Climate : Usually hot and dry
Highest elevation : Brandberg (2,606 m)
Economy highly depends on extraction and processing of minerals for export.
Agriculture is accounts for around 50% of the population's income.
5. Fish River Canyon
6. Welwitschia plants
- Pros:Beautiful landscape, beaches and deserts
- Cons:Current problems of antipathy towards foreigners
- In a nutshell:Beautiful but (these days) rather dangerous
Driving North from Keetmanshoops (~ 25km), you will soon be passing by one of the biggest forest of quiver trees, a type... more travel advice
This was our first destination (2 nights) after the 15-hour-stopover-Johannesburg-flight from Frankfurt. We just... more travel advice
Vita500's Related Pages
Namibia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Extreme World"
- "Namibia, an unknown yet unique African gem"
- "SAND, SUN AND SKYDIVING !!!!!"
- "Namibia - the dry paradise"
- "Namibian Safari"
- "Namibia - my introduction to Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Namibia
- Hotels in Namibia
- Transportation in Namibia
- Nightlife in Namibia
- Restaurants in Namibia
- Shopping in Namibia
- Warnings and Dangers in Namibia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Namibia
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Namibia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Namibia
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 47 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Busan Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Jeju-do Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Namibia Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Cuba Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kassel Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- South Korea Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos