"Hercules is watching you" Top 5 Page for this destination Kassel by Vita500
Kassel Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 233 photos
Situated in central Germany on the Fulda river, Kassel is overlooked by its famous landmark, the Hercules.
The Hercules was built in 1713 on top of the so-called 'Oktogon', an octagonal stone structure.
Kassel currently has about 195,000 inhabitants and covers an area of around 107 sq km.
DOCUMENTA 13: go for it in 2012!
One thing Kassel is definitely famous for, is the Documenta, an in- and outdoor exhibition of modern and contemporary art that takes place every five years.
The Documenta 12 took place from June 16 to September 23, 2007 and attracted a record-breaking 754,000 visitors from all around the world.
The next Documenta will take place from June to September 2012. If time permits, try to pay Kassel a visit during that period.
The brothers Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, who became famous as the Brothers Grimm through their unique and worldwide renowned fairy tales, moved to Kassel in 1798. Most of their tales were written in Kassel, many of them being told by the storyteller Dorothea Viehmann.
Apart from their stories, the brothers were also renowned for their published works as linguists. The most important one being the German dictionary, "Das Deutsche Woerterbuch".
Not a major destination of Kassel. However, the Bismarck Tower (Bismarckturm) is a secret tip for everybody who loves to... more travel advice
Construction of the Orangerie in Kassel's Karlsaue (Aue Park) started in 1702. Completed in 1710, it used to be the... more travel advice
Vita500's Related Pages
Kassel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "UNESCO World Heritage Site Kassel"
- "Opera in Kassel"
- "Hercules is watching you"
- "In the middle of... Greece!"
- "Kassel, Hesse, Germany"
- "Kassel & Arolsen"
- "Welcome to KASSEL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kassel
- Hotels in Kassel
- Transportation in Kassel
- Nightlife in Kassel
- Restaurants in Kassel
- Shopping in Kassel
- Warnings and Dangers in Kassel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kassel
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Kassel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kassel
Photos in KasselSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 47 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Busan Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Jeju-do Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Namibia Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Cuba Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kassel Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- South Korea Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos