"The Caribbean paradise" Cuba by Vita500
Cuba Travel Guide: 5,241 reviews and 12,827 photos
My trip to Cuba was in so far a very unique experience, as I was fortunate enough to spend my week over the so-called 'Millennium' from December 31, 1999 to January 7, 2000, a date that was marked by spectacular fireworks, huge parties and unprecedented events taking place all around the world.
In Cuba, however, due to some differences in calculations of the Cubanian people, it turned out to be the year BEFORE the 'Millennium'.
Hence, no fireworks, no party, nothing special at all... but a cosy beach party with live music and sparkling wine.
Considering the worldwide excitement and unprecedented preparations, an indeed unique experience. ;-)
Arriving at Holguin Airport, I spent the entire week in Cuba's North-Eastern homonymous Holguin province, in one of the two gorgeous hotel resorts along Playa Esmeralda, which could easily qualify as one of Cuba's nicest beaches. White and clean sand without any rocks, crystal clear, emerald green water... simply gorgeous!
Both resorts are situated side-by-side, in a relatively remote area with nothing else around... except of course the beautiful white beach and emerald green sea!
I stayed in the "Sol Club Rio de Luna", a 4 star beach resort, situated on a spacious piece of land and offering everything you can possibly desire: cosy rooms, an extremely clean pool, delishes food and, last but not least, very friendly and obliging hotel personnel.
The facilities and restaurants could be shared with the adjacent Sol Rio de Mares.
The hotel had its own car, moped and bicycle rental shop.
I strongly recommend to rent a moped and explore the surrounding area. During my stay I covered the whole North-Eastern part and had so much fun to not only spend some time outside the hotel resort but also get to experience the local's living environment and visit the nearby sights.
- Pros:Splendid beaches, calmness and summer-sunshine
- Cons:Nothing I could think of
- In a nutshell:Relaxation for sunshine-lovers!
The Sol Club Rio de Luna and adjacing Sol Club Rio de Mares merged and now form the spacious Sol Rio de Luna y... more travel advice
Vita500's Related Pages
Cuba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cuba-once the land of the one US dollar notes"
- "The Island of Rum, Cigars, Old Cars and Music"
- "Cuba que linda es Cuba..."
- "Back to Havana December 2004"
- "Castro's Cuba"
- "My itinerary"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cuba
- Hotels in Cuba
- Transportation in Cuba
- Nightlife in Cuba
- Restaurants in Cuba
- Shopping in Cuba
- Warnings and Dangers in Cuba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cuba
- 2 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Cuba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cuba
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 47 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Busan Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Jeju-do Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Namibia Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Cuba Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kassel Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- South Korea Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
Top Cuba hotels
- Varadero Hotels
- 444 Reviews - 887 Photos
- Trinidad Hotels
- 229 Reviews - 671 Photos
- Havana Hotels
- 1578 Reviews - 3583 Photos
- Cayo Coco Hotels
- 91 Reviews - 174 Photos
- Holguín Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 313 Photos
- Santiago de Cuba Hotels
- 145 Reviews - 366 Photos
- Cienfuegos Hotels
- 107 Reviews - 290 Photos
- Cuba Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Cayo Santa María Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 10 Photos
- Santa Clara Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Nuevitas Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Cayo Largo Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Ciego de Ávila Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Guardalavaca Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 122 Photos
- Viñales Hotels
- 91 Reviews - 286 Photos