"Seoul - gigantic, traditional yet modern" Seoul by Vita500
Seoul Travel Guide: 3,200 reviews and 8,359 photos
More than 20 million people, one of the world's largest subway network, thousands of cosy coffee-shops, modern buildings and gigantic underground shopping-malls, 600-year-old palaces, indoor amusement parks, 40+ kilometers of riverside (perfect for cycling, inlining, etc.), a magnificent mountainous landscape, shop-to-dead experiences... Seoul offers everything you can possibly imagine!
Considering the fact that almost 50% of Korea's total population is living in Seoul and adjacencies (10+ million in Seoul city, another 10+ million in the adjacent surroundings!), most visitors are stunned by the crowds of people that can be found simply everywhere and at any time of the day.
Nevertheless, Seoul has a pretty efficient public transportation network and in spite of traffic jams on the streets, transportation by subway or bus (mainly thanks to the newly introduced bus-only lanes) is really fast, reliable and cheap.
For visitors, I can only recommend to put on a pair of comfy shoes and spend as much time as possible on the streets, exploring the various sections of Seoul on foot. However, don't underestimate the vast distances...
Third to fifth largest city in the world (depending on source)
Area: 605 sq km (234 sq mi)
Population: ~ 10.3 million (2006 - only Seoul city!); about 23 million in the metropolitan area
Latitude (approx.): 37 - 35' North
Longitude (approx.): 127 - 03' East
Located in the Northwest of Korea, close to the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone), Seoul is divided into two halfs by the Han River which is emptying into the Imjin River just before entering the Yellow Sea (West Sea for Koreans).
The city is divided into 25 big wards (Gu) and 15,267 smaller districts (Dong), which are further divided into the smallest division, called 'Ban'.
Check out the below Travel Tips for more information and feel free to leave a comment to communicate how you like my tips or submit suggestions for improvement!!!
NEW: Check out the Signs You Have Lived In Korea For Too Long and let me know if there is anything that I should add.
Aim is to achieve a similar number to the list of Hong Kong... we're definitely getting closer but are still about 20 signs behind... hence, any input is highly appreciated!!!
Thanks & have fun...!
- Pros:Find everything you want in one huge place
- Cons:Always crowded... whether it's shopping, having a stroll along Hangang or a hiking trip
- In a nutshell:From historic sites in the North to modernity in the South
1330 ... this number is definitely worth remembering. It's the number of the Korean Tourist Information Center, which... more travel advice
The Holiday in Korea (H.I.K.) is a new hostel that is located in Jongno, i.e. northern Seoul, very close to the famous... more travel advice
Vita500's Related Pages
Seoul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to The Land of Big Smog"
- "Return to Seoul"
- "Seoul - My favorite place on Earth!"
- "Seoul: Energy in the Land of the Morning Calm"
- "Organized Chaos --> Seoul, South Korea"
- "Seoul, Capital of Korea"
- "Backpacking Korea in Winter / Spring"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seoul
- Hotels in Seoul
- Transportation in Seoul
- Nightlife in Seoul
- Restaurants in Seoul
- Shopping in Seoul
- Warnings and Dangers in Seoul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seoul
- 47 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 225 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Seoul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seoul
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "Re: Hotel close to highway A1 and..."
- updated a Seoul Travel Page "Seoul - gigantic, traditional yet modern"
- Wrote a Review Remember this number: 1330!!! in Seoul Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Signs You Have Lived In Korea For Too Long!"
- Commented on one of MEdelmann's Seoul travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 47 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Busan Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Jeju-do Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Namibia Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Cuba Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kassel Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- South Korea Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos