"Matlock Bath ~ Pride & Prejudice country!" Top 5 Page for this destination Matlock by Jenniflower
Matlock Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 311 photos
Well, what can I say about this breath of fresh air? Derbyshire has to be the prettiest English county we have seen thus far... we have seen quite a few, and have many more to go, and this claims top spot!
Matlock Bath is quaint and picturesque. It lies in a gorge, running alongside the river. There are all kinds of shops and tea rooms and pubs... some are a tad commercialised (but in a small way), and others are old fashioned. All in all, we had a variety of things to do here, like going up Abraham Heights (cable car), going down a lead mine (with EIGHTY TWO bally steps to get out! *huff and a puff*), going for lovely walks, taking plenty of pics. Seeing grand homes like Chatsworth House and once-grand Haddon Hall.
An ideal getaway.
Chatsworth House is where the Matthew MacFadden and Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice was filmed. It was Darcy's 'Pemberly'. it stands on huge grounds (over 35,000 acres of it.. which encompasses a few villages!) and is itself very grand, yet homely and warm inside. We have seen many castles, 'houses', mansions and palaces since we have lived in the UK, and this is for us, the best.
This photo is of the Painted Hall, rather grand is it not? Feels even better when you are standing their yourself ;)
Here you are in the country, with village charm. On the Chatsworth Estate there is a lovely Farmyard where they have a variety of farm animals for the kids (and us!). We were there in lambing season, and it was such a joy watching these gorgeous little balls of fluff dancing over the shire.
- Pros:Character, history, grandeur and humility...
- Cons:A little far for London for a weekend away
- In a nutshell:More than I had anticipated. I want to go back!!!
At Chatsworth they have renovated their 18th century stables into 3 very nice restaurants. Two of them are more casual... more travel advice
After our trip into the old lead mine, (and it’s 170 steps!), we needed a much needed cold drink, a cup of tea and... more travel advice
- See All War memorials
- See All Canoeing
- What to wear!?
- See All Cable Car
Jenniflower's Related Pages
Matlock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Matlock Bath ~ Pride & Prejudice country!"
- "High Tor"
- "Matlock, Derbyshire, U.K."
- "MATLOCK BATH & MATLOCK"
- "Summer Day in Matlock Bath"
- "Views from Heights of Abraham cable car"
- "Matlock Bath (not Matlock!)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Matlock
- Hotels in Matlock
- Transportation in Matlock
- Restaurants in Matlock
- Shopping in Matlock
- Warnings and Dangers in Matlock
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Matlock
- 29 Reviews
- 156 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Matlock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Matlock
Photos in MatlockSee All Photos (156)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 673 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 74 reviews, 337 photos, 4 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 95 reviews, 289 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 107 reviews, 221 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 100 reviews, 158 photos
- Sun City Intro, 79 reviews, 147 photos
- Richmond Intro, 36 reviews, 163 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matlock Intro, 29 reviews, 156 photos, 7 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 47 reviews, 137 photos
- Putney Heath Intro, 43 reviews, 134 photos