"The land of the Bard ~ Stratford-upon-Avon" Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford-upon-Avon by Jenniflower
Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Guide: 402 reviews and 1,173 photos
We just had to go!
I have always wondered about this town, and longed to visit. Shakespeare was a favourite study in English Literature, his writing is to me like poetry, and I so enjoy digging into his writing and seeking the true meaning beneath the musical words.
The weather was nippy but clear, spring time is always a good time to do some gallivanting!
It's quite easy to get caught up in the lovely character of the town, the charm of the architecture, the beauty of the River Avon... one needs to remember though what this town is about and why it is so well known.
Much of this town is dedicated to the memory of a man who had an enormous impact on English literature, and literature as a whole.
His life may have been over many years ago, but to me his memory if very much a living one, every time I read one of his poems, sonnets or plays, he comes alive! I learnt a lot about him at school, where we studied one play a year, and think it is a pity that many schools no longer do this. Here is a man with an unsurpassed talent and depth, with a gorgeous town heritage to boot.
Sitting in your bookshelf :)
Spring is a stunning time to visit Stratford-upon-Avon, not only because it is a beautiful time of year for the flowers, but because there are other people there but it isn't too crowded, as it does get in summer when the hordes arrive!, and even though it is spring, not summer, and there is a chill in the air, the skies were blue, perfect for picture taking!
I have to admit to falling in love with this town... I love many English towns, but this comes out tops for me... there is just SO much character and antiquity here, everywhere you look.
We will definately go back!
- Pros:TONS of character everywhere you look!
- Cons:In summer there must be LOADS of people here :(
- In a nutshell:Everything I expected and more!
Luggage with wheels is always a good idea, wherever you are travelling. Whether snowy/wet/sunny/warm or cold weather,... more travel advice
We had thoroughly enjoyed our meal the nigth before at The Garrick, on the High Street. The Black Swan/Dirty Duck has... more travel advice
- See All King Edward VI School
- Warwick Castle
- See All GeecePeace swans
- See All Keen for some market shopping?
Jenniflower's Related Pages
Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stratford on Avon"
- "STRATFORD UPON AVON"
- "The land of the Bard ~ Stratford-upon-Avon"
- "The Bard's Hometown"
- "Shakespeare's town"
- "For the Love of Will"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Hotels in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Transportation in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Nightlife in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Restaurants in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Shopping in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Warnings and Dangers in Stratford-upon-Avon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stratford-upon-Avon
- 74 Reviews
- 337 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Stratford-upon-Avon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Globetrotting Zipper Jewelry"
- Wrote a Review What to bring with? in Stratford-upon-Avon What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "What to bring with?"
- updated a Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Page "The land of the Bard ~ Stratford-upon-Avon"
- Commented on one of jo104's Stratford-upon-Avon travel pages
Photos in Stratford-upon-AvonSee All Photos (337)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 673 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 74 reviews, 337 photos, 4 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 95 reviews, 289 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 107 reviews, 221 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 100 reviews, 158 photos
- Sun City Intro, 79 reviews, 147 photos
- Richmond Intro, 36 reviews, 163 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matlock Intro, 29 reviews, 156 photos, 7 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 47 reviews, 137 photos
- Putney Heath Intro, 43 reviews, 134 photos