"The Wombles of Wimbledon!" Wimbledon by Jenniflower
Wimbledon Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 273 photos
World renowned for the Tennis Championships that are held here year after year, I did not imagine, whilst growing up, watching Johnny McEnroe and Jimmy Connors thrashing it out on the telly, that I would live here one day.
People come from all over the world to see a good game of tennis and the only thing that spoils things sometimes is the rain. I have been fortunate enough to see the men's semi finals and the women's finals in 2004 and 2005, and then seeing Andre Agassi's final Wimbledon match on Centre Court on 1 July 2006 :) The atmosphere is electric, the applause thunderous and the entertainment thrilling.
Please have a look at my travelogues, 3 of which are photos of the excitement had on 1 July 2006!
Wimbledon (South West of Central London) has been our home since early 2004. We bought, gutted and renovated a home there, attend a local church and have made some good pals. We have a travelogue of our redecorating of the last year, feel free to have a look at our home decorations.
**Update August 2006: We have moved to a place across the road from Wimbledon Common now. It is a 5 minute drive from Wimbledon itself.
I personally prefer shopping in shops that are different to those you find everywhere, you know, the High Street chains - I love antique shops and owner shops... that sell that 'something different'. There are tons of shops and entertainment here, but it is mostly chain stores and not old or interesting things. I am not a big shopper anyway, so that's okay. If I need anything though, Wimbledon does have it.
That's why, when the French Market comes to town once a month we get excited and enjoy it. haha. It brings charm and 'old worldness' ... along with cheeses, lavender, pancakes, flowers, bags, olives, biscuits and sausage! lol
I have already spent a few lovely mornings with a VT member here Jo104 (Jo), and hope to see many more here... so if you are thinking of coming to see the tennis, or just happen to be in town, please do let me know :)
Wimbledon is a fine example of the juxtaposition between the old and the new. In it's shopping, architecture etc. This shopping centre is an EXCELLENT example of that! The developer bought the church (who rebuilt another church about 300m down Queen's Road), and developed a mall in and around it! The rest of the mall is quite modern (lots of glass etc.) and then there's this gorgeous facade. I am so glad he left it, it has so much character and charm :)
Wimbledon should not be mixed with Wimbledon Village, which is further up the hill, and has more of a villagy and quaint feel than Wimbledon proper. It is also far dearer on the pocket, hence us buying our first home in Wimbledon ;)
Please note: as Wimbledon is in Greater London, some of its tips may relate to my London page too. If you have rated my London page already with a similar tip, please do not rate this one. Thanks!
- Pros:Great transport links and everything on your doorstep
- Cons:Too many SAFFAS live here ;) hehe
- In a nutshell:Good mix of the old and the new
I have been to Merton Abbey Market a few times. They hold Abbeyfest Events where they have live music, lots of food on... more travel advice
We have noticed this restaurant before and decided to give it a try. The decor is modern and tasteful, not sure why... more travel advice
- See All Relaxing in the park!
- Best accommodation in Wimbledon!
- What to bring to the game?
Jenniflower's Related Pages
Wimbledon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wimbledon - Home of The Championships"
- "Home to the famous Lawn Tennis Grand Slam"
- "Wimbledon Tennis - page under construction"
- "Wimbledon Tennis"
- "Our Home Town"
- "Wimbledon Championships 2004-2006"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wimbledon
- Hotels in Wimbledon
- Transportation in Wimbledon
- Nightlife in Wimbledon
- Restaurants in Wimbledon
- Shopping in Wimbledon
- Warnings and Dangers in Wimbledon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wimbledon
- 32 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Wimbledon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wimbledon
Photos in WimbledonSee All Photos (101)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 673 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 74 reviews, 337 photos, 4 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 95 reviews, 289 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 107 reviews, 221 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 100 reviews, 158 photos
- Sun City Intro, 79 reviews, 147 photos
- Richmond Intro, 36 reviews, 163 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matlock Intro, 29 reviews, 156 photos, 7 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 47 reviews, 137 photos
- Putney Heath Intro, 43 reviews, 134 photos