"La romantique ville de Paris" Paris by Jenniflower
Paris Travel Guide: 22,145 reviews and 53,809 photos
Everyone dreams of going to Paris when young. It's mystical and magical, spoken of by lovers. My husband and I had the chance to go in 2004 and enjoyed it thoroughly. When you discover Paris with a genuine sense of enthusiasm, this city rarely disappoints.
Early morning rises and late nights - that about sums up our sleeping habits when in Paris! There is just so much to see. At first we found the language a bit daunting, but after trying to chat with the locals, we found it came more naturally to us. I did Latin at school... maybe I should have done French. What a lovely language.
We did the usual touristy things like going up the Eiffel Tower (right to the top!) – if you are afraid of heights, best stay well away… went on a romantic night cruise up the Seine River, where one sees Paris illuminated… went to Eurodisney where we went on as many rides as we could and I got sunburnt. We will be going back again as there’s so much to do there in the actual Disneyland Park as well as the Disney Studios. The Park has a fantasyland, adventureland etc.. and the Studios (basically another park) have re-enactments of movie scenes etc.
In one scene we were the actors on the set of Arnold’s Armageddon movie… there was a fiery meteor heading towards us and we were in a space station… it was all very realistic, with fire and smoke and red lights and sirens etc. Was great fun! This is an absolute must for child and adult alike… just take some sunscreen with you!
We saw the Pantheon (on the ‘hop on – hop off’ Open Top Paris Grand bus tour – highly recommended to get a good feel of what Paris is about) – which was a particular favourite of mine when I studied it in History of Art at school and Tech… Invalides… Montmartre – Grands Boulevards area (arty area)… Montparnasse – Saint Germaine area… bought a lovely original oil painting from an artist along the Seine – it is an oil painting in an impressionistic style, a still life of a violin and a glass of wine – simple and poignant, and some other prints and drawings. There is such a rich tapestry of artwork to be seen and savoured in Paris.
Our night cruise along the Seine was our highlight I think - and that was a hard decision to make!
A close second was the Louvre. We found it strange how everyone flocks to the ‘Mona Lisa’ – otherwise known as ‘La Gioconda’. (she has 3 guards specifically guarding her, and is behind what appears to be a bullet-proof glass casing, which is also slightly tinted, to protect her from the light no doubt). Okay, so we had a peek too, but the other art overshadowed her in our humble opinion.
I could actually go on for an age about the wonders of this museum/gallery. It is an architectural splendour, with awesome paintings, drawings, sculptures, wall motifs etc… One actually needs about a week there to take it all in though. We were gob-smacked... to say the least… and will be visiting Paris again for a long weekend shortly JUST to visit the Louvre for 3 days.
Please note: I have tried to write all the French names with the correct accents, but VT software keeps making the accents a question mark... so I have just taken the accent off. Just in case you were thinking me illiterate or something! haha
- Pros:So much to savour... especially the Louvre!
- Cons:Your car needs a good bumper!
- In a nutshell:Art. History. Culture. Wonder
Luggage with wheels is always a good idea, wherever you are travelling. Whether snowy/wet/sunny/warm or cold weather,... more travel advice
We came to this garden a few times. It was quite central to the Latin Quarter, across the bridge from the beautiful... more travel advice
- See All The Seine at sunset
- See All Walt Disney Studio Park
- See All Training it around Disneyland Park
- See All 3 Parisian nuns
Jenniflower's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 53 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 54 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 673 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 74 reviews, 337 photos, 4 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 95 reviews, 289 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 107 reviews, 221 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 100 reviews, 158 photos
- Sun City Intro, 79 reviews, 147 photos
- Richmond Intro, 36 reviews, 163 photos, 3 travelogues
- Matlock Intro, 29 reviews, 156 photos, 7 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 47 reviews, 137 photos
- Putney Heath Intro, 43 reviews, 134 photos
Latest Paris hotel reviews
- Eiffel Seine Hotel Paris
- 1115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Beausejour Montmartre
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Claridge Bellman Paris
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Pink Hotel
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 16, 2013
- Hotel De Chateaudun
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- Hotel Flor Rivoli
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Hotel St. Georges Lafayette Paris
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Central Saint Germain
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Logis De France Britannia
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 10, 2013
- 187 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Hotel Le Central
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2012
- Auberge de Jeunesse D'Artagnan
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 26, 2013
- Moderne Saint Germain Hotel
- 183 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013