"A place to rest and get away from it all!" Powys by Jenniflower
Powys Travel Guide: 220 reviews and 646 photos
We arrived expectant, as the long narrow hedged, winding roads took us further into rural Wales.
The aim of this holiday in mid-northern Wales was not to sightsee or learn. Our aim was to REST, REST and then REST some more. London has been especially stressful of late, and this came at a perfect time for us.
We achieved our aim :)
It's claim to fame is Y Dolydd Workhouse in Llanfyllin being one of 3 Welsh buildings featured in the BBC 2 series 'Restoration' in the summer of 2004. It was a temporary home for hundreds of local paupers in the 1800s. Interesting stuff!
I photographed an interesting bit of rock on the wall of the carpark no less, that had the word 'PRISON' inscribed on it. The stone had once formed part of the prison cell under the old Town Hall until about 1830! I LOVE that type of find.
What a lovely bit of history :) What made them make it part of a carpark wall I don't know though...
This gorgeous lake is a 10-15 minute drive from Llanfyllin. It has the most impressive sluice system!
Lake Vyrnwy is man-made, and was finally completed in 1888. Llanwddyn village was submerged by the lake then, and when the weather is really hot, there's little rain, and the water level drops, the ruins of the old village reappear! Wow, I would LOVE to see that! Not too sure how often this happens though.
A drive around it, going at an average speed of 40 m/p/hr... would take you around 30 mins to do. We stopped and started along the way, so that is a bit of a thumb suck... lol... but it really is a super lake, where people kayak and do other water sports, have picnics and there's a lovely array of birdlife here too. You can do clay shooting, hiking, cycling and fly fishing in the area too. (Fly fishing is BIG in the area, much to my husband's delight!). I happened upon a lovely shop with beads and crafty bits and pieces, so was in my element :)
Please note: All tips for the Powys area are on my Llanfyllin page
- Pros:Peace and quiet...
- Cons:Nothing actually...
- In a nutshell:A little Welsh gem :)
Jenniflower's Related Pages
Powys Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fantastic scenery and interesting towns"
- "Powys: a large county in mid Wales"
- "A place to rest and get away from it all!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Powys
- Hotels in Powys
- Transportation in Powys
- Nightlife in Powys
- Restaurants in Powys
- Shopping in Powys
- Warnings and Dangers in Powys
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Powys
- 19 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Powys?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Powys
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 673 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 74 reviews, 337 photos, 4 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 95 reviews, 289 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 107 reviews, 221 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 100 reviews, 158 photos
- Sun City Intro, 79 reviews, 147 photos
- Richmond Intro, 36 reviews, 163 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matlock Intro, 29 reviews, 156 photos, 7 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 47 reviews, 137 photos
- Putney Heath Intro, 43 reviews, 134 photos