"World Art for ALS Awareness" Wallis Island by PALS

Wallis Island Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos

MY PROJECT:

My idea of getting my art photographed in every country in the world stemmed from the increased isolation my progressive disease brought on. After the reality that I would never work again and would forever be confined to a wheelchair with a steady loss of muscle control, I decided to seize the strength I still had to create art, initially using adaptations to draw with pastels and carve linoleum prints (I did this by strapping a chisel to my hand –my gripping ability gone – and using the movement of my shoulder and torso to manipulate the chisel.) Soon this became impossible and I then turned to drawing on the computer by moving the mouse wedged between my hands and using lateral pressure in order to control the mouse. By this method I created over 60 images.

MY DISEASE:

ALS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease in the United States and elsewhere in the world as MND motor neuron disease, is characterized by the rapid, progressive death of motor neurons, nerve cells that feed all the voluntary muscles in the body, including muscles used for breathing. As these motor neurons die, the muscles, lacking nourishment, atrophy, resulting in paralysis of all voluntary muscle. In about 90 percent of cases of ALS, there is no family history. Ninety percent of ALS patients die within three to five years from the date they are diagnosed. The cause of ALS is unknown. There is no cure. There is no effective treatment. ALS occurs throughout the world at about the same rate of roughly one in 100,000.

• Intro Written Apr 22, 2006

PALS

“"Once in body - now in spirit"”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Wallis Island

Have you been to Wallis Island?

Latest Activity in Wallis Island