" Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) " Ho Chi Minh City by NeverGrowOld

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide: 3,153 reviews and 7,291 photos

Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), or Saigon, the “Pearl of Orient”, is the largest and most aggressive city in Vietnam. While Hanoi is political center, Ho Chi Minh City is the commercial and financial hub of Vietnam. Coming to HCMC, although you can hardly find the so-called purity Saigon’s LOCALS or TRADITIONS, like what you get from Hanoi or other city & provinces easily, there are some particular points anyhow (look at my Ho Chi Minh City page!)
“Companion-in-arms” (heheh), just ask me if you are still ambiguous about Saigon, and do not hesitate to contact me if you wanna meet for a drink when you are here, ok?! :-)

Pre-Tet atmosphere in Ben Thanh market

Ben Thanh market is the most famous one (of both locals and foreigners) in HCMC. It is in crowds all year long, especially before Tet. At a stall of "keo mut" - confections and preserved fruits, indispensible sweet foods for Tet, lots of buyers choose and bargain for their favourites while seller pick up and pack those in a flash.

Vietnamese food festival

This picture I took in Nov 2004, but you can look at it as a typical Vietnamese food festival in HCMC which has been taking place many times in year. It is usually decorated as a small village in the countryside of Vietnam, with thatched cottages, water jars, banana trees, ect. Food sellers wear traditional clothers, make & serve traditional Vietnamese foods in traditional way.

• Intro Updated Aug 5, 2005

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 1:33 AM

I know I won’t starve in Saigon! Interesting restau tips, Vy! I made a boat tour on the Mekong, here 10 years ago, and it was Têt festival. I enjoyed a lot my visit. Is Apocalypse Now café still there?

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 8:27 AM

Hello Vy! I will never forget Saigon! Its busy streets, friendly people, new culture - my first touch of Asia! I loved it and want to go back, more now that I've read your page. Happy birthday from Finland!

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2006 at 1:38 AM

Great restaurant tips.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2006 at 6:47 AM

Interesting introduction to your home city. I haven't been to HCMC for over ten years now (1995 was the last time), but I always found it exciting and even very pleasant, despite all the hustle and bustle.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2006 at 3:57 AM

Beautiful photos, entertaining and good information. I'll return often for more. Ciao, Carol

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2006 at 2:02 AM

Thank you Vy for showing me around your lovely city. We'll be there in June this year. I've saved a couple of your tips thanks. Perhaps we can meet up. Cheers from Australia. Ann :o)

• airasia's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2006 at 7:14 AM

I was trying to copy & print it but couldn't ; ) thanks Vy.

• shikokuzen's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2005 at 7:43 PM

Hi...enjoyed your pics VY and thank you for sharing...bob

• bike_packer's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2005 at 7:49 AM

hello vy! great tips about the place. we should visit vietnam next year. the eagerness gets more exciting. happy travels! greetings from the philippines

• Pierangelo's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2005 at 2:33 AM

A perfect tips guide on HCMC! Itinerary, cfoffee shops, restaurants, typical food... everything very good explained and descibed. Thanks for share the best of your city :-)

NeverGrowOld Lives Here!

NeverGrowOld

“Hurry up to see the whole world!!!”

Badges & Stats in Ho Chi Minh City

Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?

Latest Activity in Ho Chi Minh City