"Kuala Gandah" Kampong Lanchang by Designerartgirl
Kampong Lanchang Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 61 photos
Mentopyan here is one of the many elephants at the sanctuary which after signing a waiver, you will be able to feed a number of things from fruit, to bread to sugar cane. All provided by the staff who will be around at all times to maintain safety.
A chance to ride and wash the elephants is also available.
NB: Donations are not expected but are very much needed. All money given will go straight to the elephants and to improve their lives at the sanctuary.
The elephant sanctuary is more than just a simple sanctury for elephants although that is a prime part of its function. Many rescued elephants come here after coming from the wild, should they no longer have a mother or be on their own.
However, it is also the base for the elephant relocation team of malaysia partly funded by the wildlife department of malaysia. Each month, the team will go out and relocate an elephant from a plantation to a national park where the treat of being killed by plantation owners is low. This is a lengthy process and an expensive one, taking many man hours to relocate one elephant, but well worth it.
The radio tagging has also been using during this process.
The people who work at kuala gandah are some of the friendliest people you will meet. Most of the people working there, especially in the office where you will meet them, will speak a good level of english. The mahouts are also learning, however there are a few who's vocabulary is limited.
- Pros:Beautiful elephants, lovely people, a fantastic day out
- Cons:Not enough funding
- In a nutshell:An experience you'll never forget
When visiting the elephants, it always helps to have a little bit of fruit around in order to feed and make friends... more travel advice
Designerartgirl's Related Pages
Kampong Lanchang Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kampong Lanchang
- Transportation in Kampong Lanchang
- Restaurants in Kampong Lanchang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kampong Lanchang
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kampong Lanchang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kampong Lanchang
Top 10 Pages
- Melaka Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brighton Intro, 35 reviews, 19 photos
- Ayuthaya Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Gemia Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue