"A pearl in the Atlantic" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel by faq

Ilha de São Miguel Travel Guide: 196 reviews and 645 photos

Travelling to Sao Miguel Island is the perfect choice if you want one peacefull week surrounded by beautiful landscapes and good food. The best way, for me, is, getting there by plane and hire a small car to feel free to visit the nice spots and manage your free time there, as you want.

The best months to go there are: July and August. In July you will have less tourists and, as Azores are a big source of emigrants to US and Canadá, in August you will have more of those emigrants that came back to Azores to visit their family. This option to visit Azores is my choice, mainly because you will probably have best weather to get around.

The weather at Sao Miguel is very random: you can get a summer like weather at one side of the island and in the same day you could catch a almost Winter rainy weather on the other side, so be prepared for that.

So, worth visit at Sao Miguel: Furnas and the sulphurous boiling water sources – try the typical “Cozido das Furnas” at a restaurant: a meat and vegetable meal boiled inside the soil holes nearby the boiling water sources; Ponta Delgada, the island capital with its monuments; The “Sete Cidades” lakes – pray so you will not have fog at the top of the mountain and you will have nothing more than fog to see; The “Fogo” lake – and if you have the guts, prepare a walk down by the narrow steep way there for a couple of hours; The “Ponta da Ferraria” hot water source at the sea – a small beach where hot water springs from the rocks; Some good beaches – I prefer de “Ribeira Quente” beach.

One week for Sao Miguel, for me is enough, on holidays. Try it!

• Pros:Peaceful, beautiful landscapes, nice people
  • Cons:Weather too random - the fog can spoil your visits to see the lakes.
  • In a nutshell:Green beautiful landscapes with peaceful ambiance
  • Last visit to Ilha de São Miguel: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2004

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Look forward to visiting Ilha de São Miguel (and Lisboa!) in June. Oh, those lakes are indeed magic!! And I know what my dessert will be during my stay on the island :)) Love pineapple!!

• Sep 19, 2008 at 6:28 PM

My husband and I have eaten at Furnas. Wonderful experience. We also ate at Sao Pedros Rest. and was great. There is sidewalk cafe that faces pier area in Ponta Delgada. Best pizza we have ever eaten. We ate that twice before leaving the Is.

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2005 at 2:20 AM

What a special page and I really like your writing style, and of course your photos! The lakes look lovely and the road to the port. The underground cooking is similar to here in New Zealand. Thanks again, greetings from the Sth Pacific, Pam :-)

• Apr 16, 2005 at 6:17 PM

thank you for your kind words :-) Portugal is someplace I'll return over and over again. Always holds a place in my heart. Hopefully I'll see the Açores soon.

• bkoon's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2005 at 6:03 AM

Very very nice pictures. This is like a great place. Thanks for sharing. Happy travels, Bee :)

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2005 at 1:40 PM

Looks like an interesting place.... Waiting for more :)