"Entering the Amazonas" Leticia by faq

Leticia Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 73 photos

Leticia

We've prepared the trip with the help of a contact by the internet with a portuguese photographer thet lives in Leticia and told us to go there. As we liked to go to the Amazonia, we though that it could be a good approach to the Amazonia and we were right. Leticia is a small town in Colombia at the brasilian border - in fact, we have flight from Manaus, Brasil to Tabatinga on the brasilian side of the border and get into Colombia through the city border. As Leticia is the most remote city in Colombia, people, there, claim that Leticia is the more peacefull city in Colombia - and I think they are right. There is no terrorism threat and people live their lives calmly and with its equatorial rhythm. The city is located at the border of the Amazonas river and is completely linked with the river.
From the river harbour you can plan and enjoy some small trips by boat to visit some local villages and the Amazonas river from "the inside".
A curiosity: Leticia is the city most crowded with motorcycles all over the world - fortunately, they are not very noisy. :)

• Pros:Rich in experiences, friendly people.
  • Cons:Mosquitoes and all kind of bugs ;)
  • In a nutshell:The door to the deep Amazonia
  • Last visit to Leticia: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 4, 2005

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Ola Alberto! I hope to visit Leticia and the surrounding villages on my next Colombian trip. Thought Isla de San Andres was the most crowded with motorcycles but I see Leticia is just about the same. Nice b&w pictures!

• BarbaraForza's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2004 at 11:11 PM

I agree with you...always ask first! excellent pics indeed, good start!