"Manaus as a door to Amazonia" Manaus by faq

Manaus Travel Guide: 298 reviews and 842 photos

I've been in Manaus as a step in my trip to Amazonia. While in Manaus I've hired some local guided services outside the big crowded flows. We were 6 in our group and we mainly visited places around Manaus by boat. 2 Days to visit the city, for me were enough. I have to come back to Manaus.

getting around in Manaus

Manaus is aparently a peacful city - some neighbourhoods are not advisable to walk around, but downtown Manaus is a pleasant place where you almost never get any annoyance from beggars or people at the street. If you are in any hotel outside the center of the city, just pick any taxi (ask by phone or ask the hotel staff to call the taxi) and the trip to downtown Manaus is cheap. Getting around downtown you can visit the "Mercado Minicipal" (the market), the Harbour - a floating dock - where the boats are always coming and going. You must visit the Opera and you must walk on the streets of Manaus where you can do shopping of some typical handcraft.

It's advisable to get a guide if you want to plan some boat trips on the Amazonas River - prepare your trip and take very clear what is included in the price you agree with your guide, so he doesn't charge you for water, food or anything you will need.

• Last visit to Manaus: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 28, 2004

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Local markets are always interesting and those of the Amazon region in particular. I very much enjoyed my visit of Ver-o-Peso market on the docks of Belém, where colours, smells and flavours are mixed together into varied and original scene.

• pepples46's Profile Photo