"Durbuy" Durbuy by popoze
Durbuy Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 133 photos
How the city came into being is a complete mystery, although its history presumably began in the Middle Ages. Numerous villages in the region were mentioned as early as the eighth and ninth centuries but Durbuy did not make an official appearance until the 11th century, when its feudal fortified castle was built.
Official parchment documents dating from 1078 and 1183 make a clear reference to "Dolbui Castello" and Castellum de Durbui" with its castle, and of course its estate. This was known later on as the "Terre de Durbuy".
Belonging to the Counts of Luxembourg between the 12th and 13th century, Durbuy was very soon incorporated into the defence system for the counties of Luxembourg, La Roche and the Region of Durbuy. La Roche, Bastogne, Marche and Durbuy joined forces many times to defend northern Luxembourg against invasions by hostile neighbours.
Gérard de Luxembourg, then Jean the Blind, the Count of Luxembourg and King of Bohemia, did their utmost to ensure these towns were well fortified.
Durbuy was granted city rights by Count John of Bohemia in 1331. A defence wall was built around the city.
As you can see, Durbuy has managed to retain its original layout right up to the present day. The road alignments are virtually the same. The ditches of the old city may have been filled in (1724-1725) but the perimeter of the surrounding wall is still visible. The great wall along the parking area from La Roche to the Falize (high cliff rock) dates back to 1724-1725.
During the 17th century, the city's gates and protective walls disappeared and the castle lost its towers and curtain-walls. However, the site's appearance is remarkably similar to the description Guillaume de Machault (1300-1377) made during one of his stays at the castle, as a guest of John of Bohemia (1296-1346
- Pros:Great place for a forest walk.
popoze's Related Pages
Durbuy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Durbuy ... the smallest town in the world???"
- "WELCOME TO MY DURBUY PAGE ......:-)"
- "I will have to return to Durbuy, meanwhile... :)"
- "The smallest city in the world"
- "Once The Smallest Town In The World"
- "SWEET DURBUY......"
- "Smallest City in the World, Oké, at least Belgium."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durbuy
- Hotels in Durbuy
- Transportation in Durbuy
- Restaurants in Durbuy
- Shopping in Durbuy
- Warnings and Dangers in Durbuy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durbuy
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Durbuy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durbuy
Top 10 Pages
- China Intro, 8 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 2 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kathmandu Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Prefecture of Kerkyra (Corfu) Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Kenya Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Bodrum Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Mexico Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Konya Ili Intro, 2 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jaipur Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos