"Cahal Pech Place of Ticks" Cahal Pech by Foundryman1

Cahal Pech Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 36 photos

a quick self guided tour

This is a Mayan ruin easily accesable from the main highway.It sits on a hiltop as I recall and is a very compact archelogical site-of note for the density of ruins.
A local guy told me this place gave him the creeps and if anyplace had a curse on it it was here.Ha! I said when I got here.What a beautiful place.We walked around and had a nice afternoon stop while we were traveling from Xunantunich to Black Rock Canyon.We had the park to ourselves and there were lots of colorfull birds in the trees.

A Place Of Ticks

The story goes that when the site was being excavated way back when they asked the locals for the name of the area.They came up with Cahal Pech -- "Place Of Ticks"

I came to realize how appropriate the name "Place of Ticks" was.On our last day in Belize Mrs X and I took a hike in Black Rock Canyon.No Mosquitos or bugs up in the mountains so we forget to dose ourselves in DEET.Somewhere along the way I collected about 300 chiggar bugs- all over my legs and thighs-under my waistband as well!It was living hell for two weeks.The kindest thing that could be said was that I did it on my last day not my first!
The Moral here?? Take all stories of curses and bad JUJU SERIOUSLY!!!!

• Intro Updated Nov 25, 2007

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2009 at 7:26 AM

Just fancied a mooch from my sick bed! I'm off to Barbados in 24 sleeps - can't wait, in desperate need of some warmth! Gillybob greetings

Foundryman1

“she put the pedal to the metal and my head flew back......”

Badges & Stats in Cahal Pech

Have you been to Cahal Pech?

Latest Activity in Cahal Pech