"The continuing adventures of Foundryman1......" Foundryman1's Profile

I love a fishmarket....

One of my personal quirks....If there's a fish-market in town I gotta go see it...This is the Venice Pesceria...with the garbage scow at the dock

UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!

I'm about to deconstruct and rebuild this website ....Stay tuned for further details......C

I've had an extremely busy year in 2010 and sad to say I have not devoted a lot of time to Virtual tourist.We completely gutted the 100 some odd year old house we've lived in for almost 20 years ,added onto the back and had to move out for a stretch.We were fortunate to have friends who let us use a vacant rental property of there's 3 blocks away for 4 months....but it still wasn't home .

This winter found me working as a Ramp agent for Air Wisconsin Airlines at Dulles International airport.I was doing ground handling and Baggage for United Express commuter jets.I worked at A teminal for a stretch but found a home with the crew at the C&D gates.
The blizzard of 2010 smacked us hard here in Fred and We had to put our little buddy (hardly little-he still weighed 120 lbs) of 14 years Jasper down as well. There was a sadness and emptiness in our lives for a while -I was commuting 750 miles total every week and coming home to a strange house. Very stressfull time in my marriage .....I can say that now-things are much better :)
Just as we were winding up construction I was offered a job as a chef at a new local brewpub and left the airport.Summer was hectic .I was working 60 hours a week dealing with all the craziness of opening a restaurant from scratch and moving out of the temporary house and the storage units at the same time. I'm doing all the painting as well to save some money -if I'm not slinging hash I'm slinging paint around it seems....

I'm working at Blue and Grey Brewery - Lee's Retreat Restaurant. If you are ever in frederickickburg stop in ,stick your head in the kitchen and say Hi! Drop my name and the first beers on me.
Especially all you folks for the VT meet in October-- C

Island Time !

Welcome to my VT website. I've been on here for a few years just posting pictures and goofy stuff .My tips are pretty lame ...sorry about that .....I just post pictures and write whatever I can remember. Alot of my good photos were pre digital so as I scan em I put an old shot or two up. Sorry about the puntuation and Grammar I'll be back sooner or later to clean this up.

Here's my story -I've posted several versions of the obligatory testimonial homepage: ....Let me see if I can streamline this and get a consice version up that's not too boring and doesn't sound like bragging or boasting....

OK... Grew up in southern Connecticut in a predominently Italian American Roman catholic community. Camping and backpacking as a teenager in New England .Family vacations to Maine every year-lake sebago area -lake George NY when I was very young. My first overseas trip was a ski trip to Austria and Germany as a teenager.
Went to college in Boston-That didn't work out so well.... .Went to Florida where I spent 12 years,after a year in Daytona I moved to southwest Florida- Long story- where I spent most of my time.I lived on Cabbage Key for two years, Lived in El Jobean when there was only a coupla dozen people living there .Ft Myers and Port Charlotte where I worked on boats .I spent the most time on Captiva Island where worked and lived at Tween Waters Inn.Had a sailboat I lived on for 6 + years The Morning Glory. I did a season crewing on the Island star -a sightseeing boat out of South Seas Plantation marina.The Misses and I were married on my friend Mick Gurleys charterboat the New Moon out in the middle of Pine Island sound.
Moved up to the mid atlantis about 20 years ago.Spent some time at the Delaware beach before I moved to Fredericksburg.I ran a sculpture foundry for 16 years before I was Laid off last year -I'm still bitter and angry at that....
We bought an RV when we were in our thirties- been to Alaska, drove across Canada , been out to Wyoming and the Black hills .Did the Oregon/Washington coast and spent a week in Utah.Couple of trips to Maine. We go to the outer Banks of North carolina ALOT and we try to ski every year or so in West Virginia at Timberline.
Past coupla years I've been flying around for my vacations. We've been to Italy a few times did a mediterran cruise cruise, Did Amsterdam one year .I've been to Central America a few times . Rented a car and drove around Costa Rica one year.Did the cerro de muerte route over the mountains-about 950 miles by the time we were done Rented a house in Punta Banco south of Pavones .We've been to Belize 3 times in the past couple of years. We have a relative who has a condo at Reef Village on Ambergris Cay.It was finally finished and we got to stay there for two weeks Xmas of 07.
We went to Vietnam for 3 weeks a few years ago.That was real culture shock but I really enjoyed it.I'd like to back someday. more Later-C

Lifes twisting road......

Well..... I haven't been a foundryman for several years now.As some of you know I was unexpectedly laid off/fired from my job in 2008 when I came back from a xmas vacation.I was tanned rested and ready to work after two weeks in Belize and found the locks were changed on the shop I called home for 16 years.Still a little angry about having to start from scratch in a bad economy...but I'm getting past it
Well.....Karma has a way of catching up to people and the foundry is failing miserably without me .
But enough about those losers.....I started a new life / career at Dulles Airport working for Air Wisconsin as a ramp agent. I spent my days servicing commuter Jets and loading baggage.Next time you look out a plane window think of me driving a beltloader or tug around.I really enjoying it and the people I worked with.My co workers were from all over the world and it was a multicultural mishmash of languages and customs.

And now I'm a chef...and enjoying life....go figure

It's All Good.....

• Intro Updated Feb 25, 2014

• kathymof's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Lovely Labbie in your photo. I lost mine in November. tried adopting from Lab Rescue but he hated cats and my cat was injured so doggie went back and was adopted about a week later. I will try for another where we know its attitude toward kitties or go the puppy route. Would much prefer adopting an adult.

• Foundryman1's Profile Photo
      Feb 25, 2014 at 7:00 PM

We lost jasper a few years ago too but he lives on in spirit....he was quite the character and will be hard to replace....soon though....good luck with your next pooch!

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• Rixie's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Hey, Chris, long time, no see. Good to have you back.

• meiyergani's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Happy birthday, Chris!

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Thanks ol' buddy!! Yes, do call and catch up. You keep tellin' me about the mayhem but I never get the details...;}

• alza's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Hi Chris, fascinating homepage! bravo for your determination and honesty. I got here via an alligator search... Best wishes in the kitchen!

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2010 at 6:12 AM

Hi Chris - it was great chatting with you in Fredericksburg! Happy travels wherever you go.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Hi Chris, Rick & I enjoyed meeting you in Fredericksburg. It all went by so fast, but Rick wanted thank you for bringing some Blue & Gray to the Meet & Greet! Cheers!! Sylvia & Rick

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Hi Chris Lori & I are looking forward tomeet you next Thursday It is less then a week now See you soon

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Hey Chris! Looking forward to Fredericksburg and the opportunity to meet all the local (and travelling) VTers! Can't wait! Gillybob greetings

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Foundryman1's Profile Photo

Foundryman1

“she put the pedal to the metal and my head flew back......”

Real Name