"Burkina Faso - The Land Of Honest People" Burkina Faso by NEILHALLIDYA
Burkina Faso Travel Guide: 333 reviews and 1,422 photos
Burkina Faso is a small land locked country in West Africa. It is one of the poorest countries in the world with few natural resources.
Formally called Upper Volta the country regained its independence from France in 1960 and was renamed in 1984. French is still a primary language in the main towns. There is, also, a signficant Muslim presence in the country and most towns and villages have a mosque.
It is one of those places that is "seldom seen" as tourists and travellers pass over seeking the coast line, and tropics, to the south, of Ghana or the Sahara dunes of Mali and Mauritius to the North.
However, I found the country interesting and enjoyed my time there. Its principal asset is its people. The colourful Burkinabe who remain resourceful and cheerful in dry and arid conditions.
As with many West African countries look out for the colourful colours, some wonderfull music and interesting local crafts. There are some excellent craft markets in the capital Ougadougou featuring local crafts and, notably, crafts that the like of the Tuarags have brought from the Southern Sahara.
There are some excellent bars and night clubs in the exotically named capital, Ougadougou.
Some big game, crocodiles for example, can be found in the country to add a bit of interest but not to the extent of other African countries.
I work in the UK in the Water Industry and was visiting Burkina Faso, not as a tourist, but to observe the work that the Water Aid is carrying out in the country. The two main issues in the country are the absence of water and soil erosion.
An account of my trip can be found on:-
Water Aid Burkina Faso 2006
Further information about Water Aid can be found on:-
Water Aid Official Web site
- Pros:People and nightlife in the capital
- Cons:Very dry.
- In a nutshell:Friendly people........in adversity
The people of Burkina Faso are generally very hospitable. If you visit a Rural community you may be treated to the local... more travel advice
NEILHALLIDYA's Related Pages
Burkina Faso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burkina Faso"
- "Burkino Faso"
- "Burkina Faso: The Land of The Honorable"
- "Burkina Faso -- The Charm is in its Villages"
- "Burkina Faso and FESPACO film festival"
- "UPPER VOLTA !"
- "Black Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burkina Faso
- Hotels in Burkina Faso
- Transportation in Burkina Faso
- Nightlife in Burkina Faso
- Restaurants in Burkina Faso
- Shopping in Burkina Faso
- Warnings and Dangers in Burkina Faso
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Burkina Faso
- 6 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Burkina Faso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burkina Faso
Top 10 Pages
- Ruwenzori National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Burkina Faso Intro, 6 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ladakh Range Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nepal Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Uganda Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Morocco Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fort William Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.
Top Burkina Faso hotels
- Ouagadougou Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 219 Photos
- Koubri Nabmanaguéma Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Yako Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Kaya Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Gorom-Gorom Hotels
- 1 Review - 6 Photos
- Boromo Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 10 Photos
- Bobo-Dioulasso Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 161 Photos
- Banfora Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 124 Photos
- Bako Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Gaoua Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 7 Photos