"Sowadi! - Salut! - Hej! - Hola poh! - Howdy!" hrothgarorange's Profile
I'm a 23 year old American guy, a student of linguistics, currently living in Berlin.
As far as traveling goes, tourist hotspots and the "sights" are so passé. I'm into the following when I travel:
1. trying to find "off-the-beaten-track" sorts of places
2. ecotourism, hiking, biking, kayaking
3. meeting locals and having a good time without necessarily seeing the sights
5. local food products (I'm a bit of a foodie..)
6. HITCH-HIKING ... simply the best way to go!!!
(That said, if this ain't your style, well, you probably won't find my travel pages very helpful/interesting/etc.)
These are the places that have left a lasting impression on me (see travel-log for more info):
Paraguay - the people, the culture..
Faroe Islands - the nature
Lyon, France - the food
Seattle, USA - quality of life, the people
Berlin, DE - the diversity of people, time
Iceland - the emotional landscape and weather
Slovenia - the nature, the small idyllic towns, the friendly people
These places just plain blow. (Of course, these are just my opinions...) Never go here, unless my trash is your treasure..
Hanstholm, Denmark - I hope if you're here, it's just to take the ferry to the Faroes. The town is ugly and depressing, the locals give you weird looks (especially if you have a back-pack)...
Anywhere in the Midwest, USA - Spent a good many years of my life here. A nasty place full of passive-aggressive, closed-minded people sprinkled across the most dull stretch of landscape-nothingness in the US of A. Steer clear!
The department of Nord-pas-de-Calais, France - A depressing spread of beach and non-descript, rainy, charmless towns. Unless I missed something?
Santiago, Chile - I lived here for nearly 6 months. In winter, it's the most polluted city in South America. For a population of 5 million, there is a lack of activity... Get out and discover the real Chile, or at least haul ass over to Valparaiso on the coast =)
In October, I'm traveling to Marseille, Avignon, and Corsica..
Dunno when, but I'm planning an epic back-packing + hitch-hiking trip from: New Zealand - Australia - Malaysia - Indonesia - SE Asia - Mongolia - Russia - Finland - wherever else I want to go in Europe... Anyone wanna come with for a leg? =)
Also, any hitch-hiking advice/couch-surfing offers/etc. are more than welcome for these places ;)
These are my dreams, with no plans behind them yet.
-Culinary tour of the Middle East
-Russia, esp. Kamchatka and then a long ride on the Trans-siberian railroad
-Cuba (although there's a ban if you come from a certain place with a moronic government...)
-hitchhike or roadtrip across Canada
-Torres del Paine National Park
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 27 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 10 Countries
- 12 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- hrothgarorange and merytaten are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Ethiopia Forum "cheap way to get to Ethiopia?"
updated their Profile Page "Sowadi! - Salut! - Hej! - Hola poh! - Howdy!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ventures in Streymoy"
- updated a Streymoy Travelogue "Ventures in Streymoy"
- Wrote a Review Tunnels in Kalsoy Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on vtveen's profile page
Top 10 Pages
- Petrohué Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Puerto Iguazú Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Streymoy Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chile Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Asuncion (Departamento) Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Eysturoy Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valparaíso Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Antwerp Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3865 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos