"The Oklahoma Panhandle" Black Mesa State Park by sswagner
Black Mesa State Park Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
Let me start off by saying that this is an area where you must really go out of the way to get there. You get there because you are trying to get there. The type of person who this appeals to is one who enjoys having a vast area with rugged scenes and wildlife and very few people. I came here seeking out the highest elevation in Oklahoma, which happens to be in the vicinity. This park is in an area known as the Cimarron Desert. It is somewhat of an arid country to say the least. The land does have a river and at least one lake that I know of. Mesas break up the typical flatness that one would expect from the Great Plains. Wildlife and livestock can be found in this area. Be very careful concerning rattlesnakes. In this region are some dinosaur tracks. For those who enjoy geology, they will like this park very much. There is a town called Kenton which is beyond the park entrance. A friendly owner of a store known as "The Merc" will have detailed knowledge of this area. You can get camping supplies here too. In the park, there is camping and hiking. Perhaps you may want to hike to the top of Black Mesa itself. In some places, you will have views into multiple states. In the distance, you might see mountains in New Mexico as well as the Capulin volcano. What jumped out at me the most was when we got here on a clear night. I could see more stars than I thought possible.
Perhaps you may want to come here or maybe you are just curious about it. Oklahoma has its surprises, and this is one of them.
- Pros:This is a good place for solitude and rugged landscape.
- Cons:It is really far away from the vast majority of us.
- In a nutshell:This place is not for everyone, however some will benefit from its existence.
sswagner's Related Pages
Black Mesa State Park Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Black Mesa State Park
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Black Mesa State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Black Mesa State Park
Top 10 Pages
- Easter Island Intro, 40 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 25 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 24 reviews, 23 photos
- Zermatt Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glen Rose Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- San Antonio Missions National Historic Park Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues