"Steeped in History" Vicksburg by sswagner
Vicksburg Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 183 photos
Sometimes, it seems Vicksburg does not receive the attention that it should. We all know of great cities on the Mississippi River such as New Orleans, Memphis, and St. Louis. In the state that bears the name of the mighty river, Vicksburg is perhaps one of Mississippi's most attractive and interesting cities. There are nice views of the river, historic homes and buildings, and riverboat gambling for those who are interested.
Many people have heard of the Battle of Gettysburg. Yet, at the exact same time that that battle was being fought, the Union finally won the Seige of Vicksburg, which gave the North control over the Mississippi River and in turn, split the Confederacy in half.
Vicksburg is conveniently located off of I-20, which is a main interstate highway running through the southern states. It is roughly the halfway point between Dallas and Atlanta.
- Pros:History and southern charm
- Cons:Some tourist traps in the area, such as riverboat gambling
- In a nutshell:Vicksburg is an excellent stop on a roadtrip.
One of the most important battles of the Civil War occured in Vicksburg. Once upon a time, the Mississippi River flowed... more travel advice
There are a lot of nice old houses in the heart of the old town. Many of them, such as the Belle of the Bends have been... more travel advice
sswagner's Related Pages
Vicksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "vicksburg mississippi"
- "I can't imagine what war was like and sacrifices"
- "Keeweechic's Vicksburg"
- "Basaic Vicksburg Page"
- "Vicksburg, Mississippi"
- "Battle ground in Vicksburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vicksburg
- Hotels in Vicksburg
- Transportation in Vicksburg
- Nightlife in Vicksburg
- Restaurants in Vicksburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Vicksburg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vicksburg
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Vicksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vicksburg
Photos in VicksburgSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Easter Island Intro, 40 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 25 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 24 reviews, 23 photos
- Zermatt Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glen Rose Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- San Antonio Missions National Historic Park Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Vicksburg hotel reviews
- Comfort Inn Vicksburg
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- DiamondJacks Casino & Hotel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Horizon Casino Vicksburg
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 6, 2012
- Cedar Grove Mansion Inn Hotel
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Ameristar Casino Hotel Vicksburg
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Battlefield Inn
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- Battlefield Inn Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Motel 6 Vicksburg
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 22, 2012
- Hampton Inn Vicksburg
- 173 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Anchuca Historic Mansion & Inn
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 12, 2013
- Ahern's Belle of the Bends
- 215 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vicksburg
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013