"A valley, sand, and mountains." Great Sand Dunes National Monument by sswagner
Great Sand Dunes National Monument Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 129 photos
Welcome one of Colorado's most unique areas. A notch in the Sangre de Cristo Range has allowed for an immense dune field to accumulate in the valley against the mountains. Wind has blown this sand from a sheet in the valley to this place and is constantly sculpting the dunes. Since the sand has nowhere to go, the dunes have become very lofty. They rise several hundred feet above the surroundings. This is a really fun place to come and explore the dunefield. It is great for families. Of course, there are some precautions to take such as ever changing weather, the high altitude, and dune conditions.
This is one of the finest areas in Colorado. Photographers enjoy the dunes because they are ever changing in appearance due to time of day and weather conditions.
- Pros:A giant sandbox to play in, and it is in a fantastic setting.
- Cons:Very cold in winter, the sand can be very hot in the summer
- In a nutshell:You have picked an excellent choice as a place to bring your family to see.
This creek forms a natural boundary between the dunefield and valley. The creek is supplied by snowmelt from the nearby... more travel advice
sswagner's Related Pages
Great Sand Dunes National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Great Sand Dunes National Park Page"
- "Great Sand Dunes!"
- "not hot enough for the Sahara"
- "Colorado's Great Sand Dunes"
- "Sand, sand, sand. In Colorado???"
- "A valley, sand, and mountains."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Great Sand Dunes National Monument
- Hotels in Great Sand Dunes National Monument
- Transportation in Great Sand Dunes National Monument
- Nightlife in Great Sand Dunes National Monument
- Restaurants in Great Sand Dunes National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Sand Dunes National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Great Sand Dunes National Monument
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Great Sand Dunes National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Sand Dunes National Monument
Photos in Great Sand Dunes National MonumentSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Easter Island Intro, 40 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 25 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 24 reviews, 23 photos
- Zermatt Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glen Rose Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- San Antonio Missions National Historic Park Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues