"The Alaskan lottery" Nenana by sswagner
Nenana Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 61 photos
Nenana is situated on the river by the same name between Denali National Park and Fairbanks. It is famous for the unique lottery held here every year. When the river ices over, a tripod with a clock is set up on it. From the moment the tripod is set out, someone observes it from a watchstation so that the tripod is left undisturbed. When you buy the lottery ticket, you are to guess the exact time and date that you think this tripod will fall through the ice during the spring. This is the date and time that you write on the ticket. Then, you drop the ticket in a can. If you are closest to that time, then you win the lottery. I played and missed it by about a day. Not too bad, I guess.
- Pros:Scenic setting on the Nenana River
- Cons:Gets cold in the river.
- In a nutshell:The lottery and story behind it is interesting
sswagner's Related Pages
Nenana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nenana - Home of the Ice Classic"
- "HOME OF THE ICE CLASSIC!"
- "A small picturesque town"
- "FandA_Veale's Corner"
- "The Alaskan lottery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nenana
- Hotels in Nenana
- Transportation in Nenana
- Nightlife in Nenana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nenana
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Nenana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nenana
Top 10 Pages
- Easter Island Intro, 40 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 25 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 24 reviews, 23 photos
- Zermatt Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glen Rose Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- San Antonio Missions National Historic Park Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues