"The Arctic Winter" Barrow by sswagner
Barrow Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 142 photos
Why come here in winter? I suppose it was the curiosity that did us in. That and the hope of seeing the Northern Lights and polar bears. We did see a polar bear, but it ran too fast too quickly to get a photo in the short arctic day. This town literally sits at the edge of the world. People come in the summertime in hope of seeing the midnight sun. In winter, there is a chance to view polar bears as well as seeing the aurora. Clouds prevented that from happening, however i did get to go above the Arctic Circle for the first time and see something that relatively few get to see. When you come up here and feel that icy wind in the subzero temperature, you have got to wonder, "Why on Earth do they live here?". if you are not sure where Barrow is on the map, try and imagine where you think the most inhospitable place in Alaska would be, and you will probably find it. Despite the ferocious environment, it was a worthy visit.
- Pros:Polar bear viewing, possible Northern Lights, something different
- Cons:It can get cold enough to kill a person within minutes
- In a nutshell:What can i say? It is not for everyone.
We had one night in Barrow. The plane was late getting in. Thankfully, the hotel is practically across the street from... more travel advice
sswagner's Related Pages
Barrow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barrow, Alaska: Northernmost City in North America"
- "yeah_baby's Barrow - Top of the World"
- "North 71 17.10 West 156 46.01"
- "Yohaho's new Barrow Page"
- "Barrow, Alaska in 1960"
- "Sierrak's new Barrow Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barrow
- Hotels in Barrow
- Transportation in Barrow
- Nightlife in Barrow
- Restaurants in Barrow
- Shopping in Barrow
- Warnings and Dangers in Barrow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barrow
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Barrow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barrow
Top 10 Pages
- Easter Island Intro, 40 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 25 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 24 reviews, 23 photos
- Zermatt Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glen Rose Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- San Antonio Missions National Historic Park Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues