"Peter the Great's Palace" Peterhof by sswagner
Peterhof Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 245 photos
Here it is, the one place in the whole world where I chose to propose to my wife. I picked a spot in front of the Grand Cascade and set a simple silver ring (a diamond ring would come later) in the core of one of those nesting dolls that you can buy everywhere. I gave up the doll and the ring in front of the palace and proposed. Lucky for me, it was a nice day out since i had planned Peterhof to be the spot a few months earlier than our visit.
Palaces are certainly a dramatic part of a European trip. This one is set in front of the Gulf of Finland and has fountains on the compound that could very well beat Versailles itself in grandness. The interior has been restored since being caught very near the seige lines of Leningrad during World War II. Several palaces can be found in the vicinity of St. Petersburg. I am glad we picked this one to visit out of all of them. One can arrange a vehicle to take them here or you can take a hydrofoil from the city. The interior was certainly grand, however my favorite part of the visit was of the extensive grounds. A canal leads from the palace all of the way to the gulf. Plan plenty of time to visit here. It could very well be the highlight of your visit.
- Pros:Site of my engagement, very stunning sight.
- Cons:Can become crowded.
- In a nutshell:It would be a shame to go to St. Petersburg and not see this
Visitors to Russia quickly learn that the churches have a captivating look to them. Colorful onion domes are a trademark... more travel advice
These fountains echo the ones that can be found in St. Peter's Square in the Vatican. Peter the Great was much inspired... more travel advice
sswagner's Related Pages
Peterhof Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Peterhof (Peter's Court)"
- "Peter the Great's Little Palace"
- "Peterhof and its amazing fountains"
- "Architectural Gem of Russia"
- "Peter the Great's Palace"
- "Peterhof - The Russian "Versailles""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peterhof
- Transportation in Peterhof
- Restaurants in Peterhof
- Warnings and Dangers in Peterhof
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peterhof
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Peterhof?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peterhof
Photos in PeterhofSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Easter Island Intro, 40 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 25 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 24 reviews, 23 photos
- Zermatt Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glen Rose Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- San Antonio Missions National Historic Park Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues