"Peter the Great's Palace" Peterhof by sswagner

Peterhof Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 245 photos

Here it is, the one place in the whole world where I chose to propose to my wife. I picked a spot in front of the Grand Cascade and set a simple silver ring (a diamond ring would come later) in the core of one of those nesting dolls that you can buy everywhere. I gave up the doll and the ring in front of the palace and proposed. Lucky for me, it was a nice day out since i had planned Peterhof to be the spot a few months earlier than our visit.

Palaces are certainly a dramatic part of a European trip. This one is set in front of the Gulf of Finland and has fountains on the compound that could very well beat Versailles itself in grandness. The interior has been restored since being caught very near the seige lines of Leningrad during World War II. Several palaces can be found in the vicinity of St. Petersburg. I am glad we picked this one to visit out of all of them. One can arrange a vehicle to take them here or you can take a hydrofoil from the city. The interior was certainly grand, however my favorite part of the visit was of the extensive grounds. A canal leads from the palace all of the way to the gulf. Plan plenty of time to visit here. It could very well be the highlight of your visit.

• Pros:Site of my engagement, very stunning sight.
  • Cons:Can become crowded.
  • In a nutshell:It would be a shame to go to St. Petersburg and not see this
  • Last visit to Peterhof: Aug 1999
  • Intro Written Jan 3, 2005

sswagner

“Not all those who wander are lost--JRR Tolkien”

Badges & Stats in Peterhof

Have you been to Peterhof?

Latest Activity in Peterhof