"Mother of all palaces" Versailles by sswagner
Versailles Travel Guide: 657 reviews and 2,428 photos
Versailles is a subject that has been covered very well on this website. Like nearby Paris, it is well on the beaten path. Due to is grand attractiveness and history, it should be popular.
Unfortunately, that popularity carries a cost. Be prepared to encounter crowds and tour groups like you have never seen them before. Do you like to take pictures? Make sure you get software that allows you to crop people out of your photo. Yes, it is that crowded. My wife found it difficult to see at times since the people behind us were pushing us against the people ahead of us. Since she was not right at the rail inside, her ability to enjoy the palace was limited.
Alright, now that I have got that off my chest....
It can be a wonderful experience to see this place. If you are a history student like me, you could spend multiple days here. There is a very good chance that I will return off season to really get a chance to explore this place at my own pace.
The gardens offer plenty of room to explore, and the fountains are usually the favorites of those who go outside to take a look. By all means, come to Versailles. Just be sure to weigh the pros and cons of coming at certain times of the day or year.
- Pros:Extraordinary palace and gardens, very historic
- Cons:Extremely crowded during the peak seasons
- In a nutshell:This is one of the world's must sees, however plan very carefully
The landscape surrounding the main palace is as impressive as the building itself. Carefully manicured vegetation is... more travel advice
sswagner's Related Pages
Versailles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grandeur Beyound Words"
- "ON THE STEPS OF MARIE-ANTOINETTE."
- "Moscow - Versailles"
- "When Kings lived in Versailles"
- "The Chateau de Versailles"
- "I can see why they chopped off their heads!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Versailles
- Hotels in Versailles
- Transportation in Versailles
- Nightlife in Versailles
- Restaurants in Versailles
- Shopping in Versailles
- Warnings and Dangers in Versailles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Versailles
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Versailles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Versailles
Top 10 Pages
- Easter Island Intro, 40 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Fort Worth Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 25 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 24 reviews, 23 photos
- Zermatt Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glen Rose Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- San Antonio Missions National Historic Park Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Versailles hotel reviews
- Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
- 549 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Pullman Versailles Chateau Paris
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Ibis Paris Versailles Chateau
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Le Cheval Rouge
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013